Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Because of the number of cracked forearms there has been a brisk trade right along in new ones. And if someone parted out an old A5 they would likely have or quickly find a use for the forend. So I doubt there is a magical stash of used forends out there waiting to be discovered.....

I'd buy a new one, refinish it in a finish that is similar to your "old" gun and then hunt it hard for a couple of seasons to develop the patina. You'll need to do the refinsh because the browning two part finish is so durable that you won't live long enough to have it "age" to fit match a stock from an early gun.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
You cannot make dark wood light. If sanding did not lighten it then the color is in the wood, not finish or stain. You could try soaking it in the Wonko's brew system.....but there may be no point. If your stock is too light for the forend then darken the stock to match the forend, or get used to it the way it is.

The finish I like is 50/50 spar urethane and tung oil. You put it on like an oil finish but it builds faster and is much more waterproof than oil. I do it is real thin coats like linseed, maybe 20 or so wet sanded after every 5. It takes a month to do it right so I usually don't start a gun I need right away.

It is not as waterproof as the poly finish from the factory but it is much more classy and has the soft glow of an old hand applied finish.

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.