Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a used Citori Hunter, I think it's a Hunter model. It has fixed chokes, F & M, and a blued receiver.
It is on consignment at a LGS. I checked it over and saw the chambers were not shiny and appeared to have some small pitting. There is pitting on the outside of the receiver too but nothing major.
The pivot bearing areas have scratches that are almost gouges. It apparently wasn't cleaned and lubed properly.
It did seem to lock up tight.

I passed on it at $699.00. Are any of these issues a major problem to address? I can polish the chambers with steel wool and a drill. The only thing I am unfamiliar with is the pivot bearing area being scratched. How much of a problem is that? Does it reduce the life of the shotgun? Is it repairable?
Is it safe to shoot even though it has been described here as a beater?
What would be a reasonable counter offer?

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Fixed choke full and mod would make me pass anyway. Should not shoot steel in the fixed full. I do not think there is a reasonable counter offer. I think the reasonable thing to do is to find one in much better condition with screw in chokes and buy it instead. Will cost you $300 to $500 more but you will be better off in the long run. There is a 28" barreled, screw in choke, Cynergy in excellent condition for $1200 on the Joel Etchen website right now.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Forget it. Surely, you wouldn't ever really be happy with that dog. You're wanting an O/U too bad if you're willing to settle for that one. Patience, Grasshopper; the right one will come along..............at a price you're willing to pay.

Oh, regarding the galling..........I had a Special Sporting Clay that I let get galled, though not as bad as the photo in this thread. I started taking better care of it and shot it for many years afterward. It never progressed. I sold the gun and ran across it two owners later. The finish on the receiver bottom was completely gone by this time. No one had any idea of how many rounds it had shot, but it was a lot as I put 65,000 through it myself, and that galling had not progressed one bit. So, the galling, while ugly, doesn't seem to be a really big issue if not allowed to continue to get worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.