Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just shot trap for the first time yesterday at a gun club's open house and I loved it. I joined the club for a nominal fee, and now its time to get a gun. I got to shoot several guns (including a sweet Beretta O/U) and I liked the Remmington 1100. I just plan on shooting clay targets.

I want a 1100 with a wood stock in a 28-30" barrel. They don't make a regular 1100 with a wood stock anymore so I thought that I would look for a used 1100. What should I look for in a used gun? Any warning signs of abuse? Or should I just buy a new 1100 with a synthetic stock?

Thanks in advance for your help

Mark

G

·
Thanks for the advice WWB. I'll try to find a shotgun expert at work. The 1100 trap and sporting models are very nice, but I've only shot trap so far and I wanted to keep my options open. So I wanted an all around gun to start with. I could not find a basic 1100 with a wood stock on the Remmington web site.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Mark, welcome...

I went through the same thing as you at the beginning of this year, and similarly I found myself looking at the Rem 1100 series. Here's my initial post about that:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... tra+newbie

I too am a clay only shooter, so I chose the 1100 Sporting 12, and I just can't tell you enough about how much I love it! It's set up and ready to go for clay sports, has BEAUTIFUL wood, the extended set of Rem chokes (four in all - I've yet to desire any additionals, and I absolutely love the Lite Mod choke for 16 yard Trap!), and is about as good a fit to me as I could hope for right out of the box. Matter of fact, I just shot my FIRST perfect round with that gun just yesterday - 25 straight and lovin' it!! (yes, I did run up to the club house and get that 25-straight patch! :wink: )

I've yet to EVER see a Sporting 12 for sale used. Bought mine new at Gander Mountain for $700 - every day price.

And ya gotta' love the fact that the 1100's have been around for so long, has an excellent reputation for reliability and accuracy, parts and service galore everywhere you look, and a price tag won't break the bank!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nortonics

Great post, thanks a lot. I did not even consider the 1100 sporting because I thought it was for sporting clays and skeet only. Now all I have to do is round up the cash.

Thanks again
Mark

To quote Bruce Scott of the Shotgun Journal:
"When I die I hope my wife does not try to sell my shotguns for what I told her I paid for them"

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Mark T--

You've got some good advice from the serious clayshooters, so I'll say welcome to Shotgunworld. I hope you'll hang around to enjoy the conversation :)

Nortonics--

CONGRATS! on your 25 straight!

Jeff23

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nortonics and Jeff

Thanks for all your good advice but I did not follow it. My wife had a different idea of my gun budget than I did. My price limit was $500 and I was looking for a Remmington 1100 synthetic, i had a hard time finding one.

I could not pass up a Beretta AL390 synthetic in 12 gauge with a 28" barrel. I got the AL390 for $469 at Galyans. I read a lot of great things about the Beretta, I'm looking forward to picking it up Wednesday night. I can't wait to shoot it on Sunday.

Thanks again

Mark

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great deal Mark!!!

Yeah, a budget is a horrible thing, ain't it??!! :wink:

Man, ya sure can't go wrong with the Beretta either! That bad-boy should perform greatly for you! Really though, all that matters is you've got a decent gun on your shoulder and you're ready for some serious fun!

Congratulations on that first shotgun, and always remember: The gun doesn't make the shotgunner - the shotgunner makes the shotgunner - even the pro's that can shoot 100 straight without thinking can do so with the Beretta that you just purchased... 8)

Enjoy & keep us informed - everybody loves stories... :D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Berettas are fine guns--congrats on the new purchase!

Jeff

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys

I sent a friend an email yesterday about my progress shopping for a shotgun, and the fact that my wife just got a job. His reply was "Why is she working if you can't spend some of it on a new shot gun?" That sums it up.

Thanks again

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts