Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or do people/shops/websites generally ask for ridiculous prices on used shotguns. I mean, to try and sell a used 686 onyx for $1300, or even a Citori Hunter model for $1100 is ludicrous.

I know, I know, it all depends on the condition/year etc. of the gun, but for the most part the used marked seems nuts. I had a guy who wanted to sell me a used Gr. 1 Citori Lightning, 12ga, 26" for $1200! Give me a break.

Anyone else seeing this?

BC

·
Registered
48 Posts
High prices online are infectious. My local places have not changed at all but if one nut case puts up an insane price online it seems like there are a flood of folks who follow.
Part of the problem is that the internet has given us access to a whole world of fools so the odds are good that you can sell junk for high prices. I have watched, with amusement, some real trash sold online in a bidding war where the winning of the bid appeared to become more important than the purchase.
I guess it is a good time to be a seller, which I am not.
Mike

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Some of that same idiocy is hitting the gun shows... last spring, there was a guy trying to sell a beat-up 10/22 for $150. I asked him if he was serious, and he said, "There's somebody out there who'll pay it."

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've got a 99% H&R single shot 12 ga I would part with for ooohhh .... $275.00 :lol: :lol: :lol: It's got the purdiest piece of birch stock you'll ever see !

I agree , the web prices on used guns has gotten wild with fever. Things like Browning ending the production of A5 shot prices way up on these guns. Don't get me wrong, an A5 is a good gun and a classic design, but not worth $800 - $1000 some folks have been asking! :shock: It's is simple economics, the dealer can ask what every they want , but you can also offer what every you want. I seen many a gun show where the price marked went down when the dealer say the green walking away. We have also seen a significant reduction in the overall numbers of FFL dealers out there. Not as many guys dealing from the home due to local and federal restrictions. I think this is the driving factor in the price of used guns going up. Plus online deals you have the selling dealer and delivering dealer both looking to make a buck or two.

Just my two cents worth.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
261 Posts
:D A post or so above mentions the web bidding of some happy go lucky fools parting with more cash than necessary. This is not a gun tale but I'll get to the gun in a minute. I was trying to get the complete Foxfire Series of books on ebay. I noticed that most ofthe time they were going for over ten bucks. One that I needed was already up to $17 when I looked in. I went to Barnes & Nobel and found that I could get brand new for $12.95 and used for $8.60 Needless to say I stopped looking on ebay. Now the gun tale. My father-in-law's neighbor was having a yard sale and he had a 20 ***** that was sold by Western Auto. I think they were called Revelation or something. A new one cost about $69.00. He wanted $60.00 for the used one. I offerd him $40 which I thought was a little high and he said I was crazy. He kept his gun, I kept my money. As long as there are people with the cash, there will be the man talking trash!

G

·
I guess I am part of the "problem". I paid $1,000 for a nice used citori lightening 20 gauge. But I sure did like the gun and in addition it saved sales tax and there is no retailer near me that discounts brownings enough to help. And there was a trade involved.

But the market can not "get out of control". Obviously when the prices go to high the sales will stop. Make a cash offer that is reasonable and reflects how much you want the gun. The seller has to decide whether he thinks he can get more or grab it. Willing buyer and willing seller toe to toe. But just because you saw one in worse shape at a garage sale last year for less is not going to get it either.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it has less to do with the price increase/ceiling than it does supply and demand.

If there is a demand for used citoris, the prices will remain high. It's just frustrating to look up a gun's value and then see it selling used for 30% more.

As a buyer, I'm not comfortable buying sight-unseen, and used citoris/686s/weatherbys etc don't show up in shops often. And once they do, they go quick.

Interesting responses so far.

BC

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The used gun market is what we call the UNMARKET. A lot of people asking outrageous prices for used equipment, and little of it sells. On the auction sites, you might have 1600 guns listed and two shotguns a day will sell. It's an UNMARKET.

In the last few months, we have seen the prices of new equipment get extremely competitive. Further, in the real world, we have seen the prices of used equipment drop dramatically...actually, to the way it should be, if you know where to shop.

If you want to see JOKE TIME, go to the auctions and look at a historical perspective of Winchster Model 12 for 90 days; hardly a sale, and many of the bids are shields.

You are right. It is a lunacy. I have talked to Jay about this, and I think he has seen the light.

·
Registered
261 Posts
RemingtonII said:
The used gun market is what we call the UNMARKET. A lot of people asking outrageous prices for used equipment, and little of it sells. On the auction sites, you might have 1600 guns listed and two shotguns a day will sell. It's an UNMARKET.

In the last few months, we have seen the prices of new equipment get extremely competitive. Further, in the real world, we have seen the prices of used equipment drop dramatically...actually, to the way it should be, if you know where to shop.

If you want to see JOKE TIME, go to the auctions and look at a historical perspective of Winchster Model 12 for 90 days; hardly a sale, and many of the bids are shields.

You are right. It is a lunacy. I have talked to Jay about this, and I think he has seen the light.
:oops: I hate to talk Winchester to a guy named Remington but.. is the Model 12 the pump that had a hammer safety years ago? Being a left handed shooter, I always thought I would like to have one of those hammer pumps. I would like one that kicks like a Misourri mule. As my late Dad used to say "Kills in front and cripples behind".

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think icecream said it best...the value of a shotgun to one person is different to another. This can't be said about new shotguns...there are regulated mark-ups and such. The dealer spent so much on the new shotgun, so in return he has to sell it for so much. I know all of you know this...it's not exactly rare knowledge...I'm just pionting it out...

·
Registered
71 Posts
BBStacker: Regarding your question & comments on the Winchester pump shotgun that had an exposed hammer........
I quite sure you're thinking of the 1897 Winchester Slide Action Shotgun. It was mfg between 1897 and 1957. Total production
was in excess of (1) million guns & they were produced in 12 & 16 Ga., and in various models: i.e. take down or solid frame; standard grade; trap grade; pigeon grade as well as: "riot guns" and "trench guns". As a kid in the early 1940's, I was given one in 16 ga to use (as a loaner) in my learning years of gun safety ( and how to outwit those "big "ole Roosters"). The neighbor who loaned it to me said: "you never cock that hammer until the bird flushes", and "if I ever catch you walking thru those cat-tails with it cocked -- I'll take it back right then!!! It's funny how habits learned when you're a young kid, stick w/ you forever.........sometimes, even as late as last season, I find myself subconsiously trying to cock a non-existant hammer on an O&U I've been carring for years. Good luck in finding one.....there's still some out there. "Grizzly"

G

·
As in all things, the value of something is determined by the height of your desire or need for it. (or your need to get rid of it).

If the seller is willing to wait for that one guy who will pay 150 for a beat up 10/22, that is his right.

If he needs cash, then he will sell it for 75.00.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.