Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a dedicated trap gun for myself. I've been shooting trap about 3 years using on old Win 1200 trap model. I shoot 2-3 rounds a week about 26 weeks a year. Mostly league stuff with occassional local competitions. I'm a low "C" class shooter. I recently replaced that gun with 2 used Rem 1100 trap guns for my 12 year old sons to use. Now I'm looking for a gun for myself.

I've boiled it down to two options. Local gun shop has Rem 1100 trap, raised comb stock, 30" full choke (not tubes) at $479. Second option is a new Beretta 391 parallel. Tubes, case, etc. about $900.

Question is, is the Beretta worth twice the cost of the used Remington, considering the amount of shooting I do?

More specifically, how reliable is the Rem 1100? I've only had the two I have a very short time so not much history for me. I know its a tried and true design, but several hard core trap shooters tell me that the Rem 1100 often breaks down.
They recommend the Berreta.

I've shot both designs a little, I miss equally well with either. I've got the cash for either, but the savings could finance a whole nuther gun, (or several if I can't kick this facination I have with surplus rifles, but that's a whole different issue!).

Opinions welcome!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have the 391 optima trap. It is a wonderful firearm, fits me well and has minimal recoil. Is it worth the extra $? For me it would be but to other perhaps not. If you are going to shoot seriously and competively I would opt for the new Beretta.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have an 1100 trap that was made in 82. I bought it used about 15 years ago. Just this year, I had to spend about 120 bucks replacing some worn parts. I have no idea how much its been shot but it has to be a bunch.

The beretta is a fine gun but in my opinion no way worth that much extra money. Then again, it depends on what kind of condition the remington is in.

You wont go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I would have a hard time paying that for a used 1100 trap unless I could tear it down and look it over, and measure the barrel, and check POI. We went thru a chunk of fixed 1100 barrels that bent to the left after about 10K rounds, I would check it.

Even then, that is close enough to a new 1100 to make me pay the extra. The 1100 (for me) certainly has the pointability edge, and recoil.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
jackrabbit slim said:
I know its a tried and true design, but several hard core trap shooters tell me that the Rem 1100 often breaks down.
I have been shooting trap since 1970, IMHO, it depends on how the gun is used and maintained (or not).

My wife has an older 1100TA Trap with at least 40,000 shells through it.

I "voted with my wallet" on my most recent trap gun purchase earlier this month; I bought a new 1100 Classic Trap. These fit me like they were made specifically for me, I like the weight distribution and low recoil sensation. I know how to maintain these guns since my wif has an 1100 Sporting 28 and an 11-87SC, none have had any issues; consequently, the decision was easy for me.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I own a new 1100 Classic Trap and a two year old 1100 Sporting 12. To date, the Sporting 12 has about 10,000 rounds through it with no repairs.

It is no secret that the 1100 will require $30-$50 worth of maintenance parts every 20K rounds or so. I keep spares of most of these items (link, piston assembly, O-ring) in my range bag, and can replace these on the spot in about 5 minutes.

However, it should be noted that every brand and type of gun will eventually require periodic maintenance and repair. Since few people pre-emtively replace springs or pistons, they generally wait until things break. I have personally seen Beretta semi-autos break down at the range. The feet on the gas piston are notorious for breaking off, for example.

Therefore, it should come down to money and preference. The Remington and Beretta guns have a very different feel. Personally, I don't like the tight radius pistol grips that Beretta puts on their competition semi-autos. However, only you can decide if the Beretta is worth twice the price.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I don't own either, so can't speak from personal experience, but...

A shooter that I have squadded with, many times last season went to the AL391, and loved it. Scores went up, class went up, never had a problem with it. Apparently they need cleaning but not as often or as thorough as some other gas guns. I was damn tempted to buy one myself. Recoil is almost non-existant with the kick-eze added. Price was $1300 CND including the kick-eze, adjustable comb, hard case, 5 choke tubes.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Jackrabbit........Man!!!I'm all for buying American Made products and I think the 1100 is a great gun but, if you are like me, you will be disappointed, eventually, that you have a fixed choke gun.

From my point of view, having the money to buy the Beretta, I would spend about $150.00 less and buy a new Remington Classic Trap. If you see and handle one you will buy it!!! It is soo good looking with excellent, select walnut wood and a great traditional glossy finish, it makes the Beretta look like a "military gun". :p

On the other-hand, if your not worried about a fixed choke gun, you can buy an awful lot of shells for the $400.00 difference between the 2 guns you are looking at. 8)

Good luck and happy shooting...........................Levi

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
You could buy the Remington and lose the adjustable stock,5 choke tubes,tools,and the hard case that comes standard with the guns. Not to mention that Beretta has been making guns for over 500 years now and know a thing or two about it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Driller wrote:

Beretta has been making guns for over 500 years now and know a thing or two about it.
So there you go Jackrabit...........Columbus brought one over on the Pinta when he landed in the new world. :shock:

How can you argue with that logic :? :lol:

Happy shooting...........................Levi

By the way driller, what was it like shooting clays off the back of a sailing ship back in the 1500's??????? :lol: and how do you say PULL in Italian :wink:

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
I'm getting on up there Levi, my memory is fading a bit,but it seems that they threw a hard left that was pretty wicked. :lol:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd have to 2nd (or 3rd?) the comments on fit/pointability. I was pushed to try a used Beretta Teknys at the local club. Pushed I say because I really couldn't afford, so I didn't care to try. My buddy said try it just to get the feel for a Beretta. I did and it just didn't have the same feel/pointability (for me) as the 1100 Trap I ended up with. $500 difference in my case....

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Just reading the subject line of this post gave me pause, here's our experience.

I've had four shooters in my family all wanting shoot some combination of sporting clays, skeet, trap. With a multiplier of 4 on each gun purchase, cost and parts commonality was a factor. I'd have quite the shooting budget if there was only one shooter, but not nearly the fun.

We ended up shooting used Remington 1100 for three reasons:

1. The stock guns fit well or could be fitted with little cost/effort mostly LOP as the comb, drop, etc worked well for us.

2. The two instructors we used recommended the 1100 platform for entry level guns for skeet, sporting clays.

3. When parts are needed (there have been few breakdowns) they are inexpensive, available and of the repairs we have had to do were not complicated nor expensive. 1 gas piston, one action spring, and one action bar out of 4 guns in three years of shooting.

One is a fixed choke skeet gun, one is a Briley Thinwall choked skeet and sporting clays gun, one is stock field gun and one is an 1100 Magnum with a second 2 3/4" 30" barrel which gets shot at clay targets no matter how they are launched.

Did we look at Beretta's yes, fit and cost were not there for us. We are shooting used Remingtons: 1969, 1973, 1979, 1982 and started a O/U fund with the difference.

Best Regards,

FS

·
Registered
440 Posts
Levi 42 said:
Jackrabbit........Man!!!I'm all for buying American Made products and I think the 1100 is a great gun but, if you are like me, you will be disappointed, eventually, that you have a fixed choke gun.

Good luck and happy shooting...........................Levi
I like the fixed full choke in my trap gun. Most of the better shooters at my club all shoot fixed full choke guns. Without hijacking the thread what choak do you guys use? I use a full choke for every distance. I do like haveing a gun with changable chokes on my hunting guns. My skeet gun has interchangable chokes.

I've had the Remington and shot the Beretta. I like the Beretta better.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
New-N-TX said:
Without hijacking the thread what choak do you guys use? I use a full choke for every distance.
I use the .041" tube in my new 1100 Classic Trap for all my trapshooting, I "choke for smole" on trap and have no complaints about the 1100CT or the .041" choke.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.