Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, seriously considering buying a used RRL after Christmas. It is in 90-95% and comes with all the choke tubes. It locks up tight. I have been reading this forum for quite some time now and it seems like a lot of people suggest buying a lightly used older RRL. The price is $860. I know without photos this is hard, but does this sound like the right ballpark for a 12 gauge 28" RRL that has been used lightly? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks-Miller

·
Registered
481 Posts
Miller, I have owned a few red labels in my life time. If the gun fits you and is as you say, that is a pretty fair price. I would sure go for it. Ruger has the best warranty in the business. If it does have a problem, and I'm not saying it will, Ruger will take care of it for as long as you own the gun. Good luck. Grade6man

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
That is a good price on a 95% (or better) RRL.
If you like the gun, buy it.

Or, have you already????? :lol:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just inspected it again today and it isn't as nice as I had remembered. The stock had some dings in it and the barrel showed a lot of wear. Also, the lever locked up left of center. The price was dropped to 700, but I think I shall keep looking. Thanks for the help-Miller

·
Registered
481 Posts
The good thing is, you could buy it and send it in to Ruger. They will basically rebuild it for you and there probably won't be any charge. They have never charged me for a repair yet. They are guaranteed for life. $700 may not be too bad a price and they may come down more that that. FWIW Grade6man

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Good point, grade6. :wink:
Dings in the wood and bluing wear will not affect the shooting qualities of a gun, and the lever (as was said) can be taken care of for not a lot of money (maybe even free!).

It's your choice, but you are still getting a lot of gun for $860.
I wouldn't cross it off your list just yet.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are good points. It is worth another look. Has anyone seen the RRL's CDNN is advertising for $999? They have the straight english style stock. Seems like a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to call Ruger after the New Year and see what they would be willing to do and for what price. If I go through with it I will document the entire experience and post many photos. Barring that, I may order one from CDNN. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
They will almost definitely tell you that they need to see the gun before they can quote you on anything...

·
Registered
2 Posts
drsfmd wrote.

They will almost definitely tell you that they need to see the gun before they can quote you on anything

Don't listen to him. He bashes rugers. I have seen ruger fix
this for free. Ruger stands behind there guns.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
RUM said:
drsfmd wrote.

They will almost definitely tell you that they need to see the gun before they can quote you on anything

Don't listen to him. He bashes rugers. I have seen ruger fix
this for free. Ruger stands behind there guns.
Daycare let out early again?

Find me ANY manufacturer that will fix user caused dings in the wood for free...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts