Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have this single shot zoli gun that i was given like 20 years ago.
i have no idea exactly how old it is or what it is worth.
Any help would be nice.

ok so heres the gun:
it is a small single shot shotgun on the right side of the action it has a JLG? arms and ammo coat of arms looking thing and it says 12 gauge 3" magnum and the hinge on that side says eagle arms n.y.n.y.

on the left side of the action it has teh same crest/coat of arms,
forward of that it says companion and under that is the number pat.n. 45382-54476 and the hinge on that side says m.a.v.i.gardone vt italy

any info would be helpfull
[/img]

·
Registered
19 Posts
The gun you are describing is a Galef import the gun should fold in half,the barrel length will be between 28" or 30" the price of the gun depends on the condition Poor being $25 up to Exc being $175 according to my book hope thats what you need.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Why did you refer in the title to a Zoli gun, when it does not appear to have the name of Zoli on it? It is true that JL Galef and Son did import some Antonio Zoli guns as well as other brands (including Beretta) but I'm not sure this one was made by Zoli. If there is anything on it that identifies it as a Zoli, I would be interested to hear about it.

Take a close look at the gun near the bottom of this picture:

That is the Galef Companion. If your gun looks like that but with the addition of a Monte Carlo stock and a vent rib, then what you have is a Galef Monte Carlo Trap Single Barrel. I think the values Dave C quoted would be for the Companion. My Blue Book (a couple of years old) values the MC Trap at $100-225 depending on condition.

The action that this gun is based on was developed by Beretta iln 1922 and was made by them until some time in the 1990's, although it was not imported to the US all that time. It was imported by Galef from the early 1950's until they lost the Beretta importation rights in the late 1960's. It was made in many different gauges and configurations. At some time (in the early 1960's, I think) Galef started calling the field version of it by the name of "Companion". When Beretta took the import rights away from Galef and went to Garcia, Galef was left with no guns to sell, so they got other maker(s) to produce guns for them in designs copied almost exactly from the Berettas. They sold a Companion and a MC Trap based on the Beretta single-barrel design but with the addition of a tang safety (Beretta used a safety button in the front of the triggerguard). The picture above is a 1968 Galef ad, probably the first year that they sold the copies of the Beretta guns.

I am not sure who made these guns for Galef, but I have seen the initials M.A.V.I. before, and I think that was the maker, not Zoli. I may be wrong - Zoli did make the Silver Snipe and Golden Snipe O/U and Silver Hawk SxS for Galef. I have not found any information on M.A.V.I. I have no idea how Eagle Arms figures into this, nor whether that is the same company that goes by that name now.

Here is some info that is off-topic, but interesting, I think. This old Beretta design is still being manufactured now, by an Italian company named Effebi. The name Effebi is derived from the letters FEB, which are the initials of the company's founder, Dr. Franco E. Beretta. I don't know much about him, but I assume he represents a branch of the same family. http://www.effebi.org/

You can find out what year the gun was made by looking for a date code stamped on the flat of the receiver (under the barrel).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the reason i assumed it was a zoli was i looked up that patent number and everything i saw about it (granted most of it was in fourms) said zoli and the gun is from italy and says gardone which is where zoli is (i may be wrong about that) as you can tell i dont know anything about guns so im a little out of my depth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.