Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Vand big safety for my 870 and was wondering how to remove the safety. Also I have heard that big safeties will not work with the Knoxx Spec Ops stocks is this true?

Thanks

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't know if they work with Knoxx stock or not but here is how you install a new safety.

1) Drift out the two receiver pins that hold the trigger guard.
2) Pull the trigger guard.
3) There is one retaining pin that holds in a spring and a detent ball, Push it out.
4) Pull the factory safety out the ball might drop out through the trigger guard put it back in the same way it fell out.
5) Put the Vang safety in big head on right side.
6) Push the retaining pin back in and you are done.

GC

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
IIRC, you pull the FCG from the receiver.
There will be a cross pin that will be revealed above the safety. You will see a hole in the top of the FCG above the safety oriented up and down. The pin crosses this and should be visible. The pin holds a spring below it, which pushes down on the safety detent.
As you push the cross pin out, hold your thumb over the hole so that the spring does not fly out. It will hit you in the eye, get lost in your carpet, and cause you to lose one sock the next time you do laundry.
Once you drift the pin out, slowly release the pressure on the spring and detent, and roll the FCG over so that these two fall into your hand. The safety will likely fall out at this point.
Replace with the new safety, drop the detent in, and place the spring on top.
Use a small punch to compress the spring and drift the cross pin back into the FCG. Test your safety for function.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would not do it in your application. I have no experience with the Knoxx stocks, but they warn against it on their site:

Can I use my oversized or extended safety with the SpecOps Stock?
Remington 870 owners should NEVER use an extended "Button Head" safety in conjunction with a SpecOps Stock . The extended size of the safety will cause major damage to the stock and potentially serious injury to the shooter. Extended safety buttons are not an issue on guns that have receiver top mounted safety switches. Some oversized safeties are compatible with the SpecOps Stock, please contact Knoxx for available options and recommended models.
http://www.knoxx.com/technology/SpecOps ... s_FAQs.php

·
Registered
120 Posts
webbee said:
The only large safety which I know works with an 870 and a Knoxx stock is made by Scattergun Tech. Check with Knoxx before opening up their stock for larger safeties. AFAIK they don't recommend anything other than the ST safety.
Here is a Link to Midway's offering:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=946594&t=11082005
That's a good point. Wilson Combat has a page on installing the big head safety on the Knoxx stock, but it may effect the Knoxx warrenty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts