Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much research on a quality 12g for home defense I have settled on a Rem 870 (I'm a 1911 guy...it took a lot of research - heh heh). I fully understand that I can acquire a better deal financially for the intended/limited use. That said, I am also buying into this product with the intention of owning a weapon I am both proud of and will have complete confidence in should the circumanstances arise to use it (i.e. know it's overkill but there ain't no kids starving at my house...hell...there ain't no kids at my house period). I am leaning towards an 870 Police Magnum from Vangcomp systems with the standard supplied mods and a 2-shot extender. My questions: 1. Any pros or cons re: Vangcomp and 2. Any additional customization/add-ons recomended by those of you more experienced than I? Thnaks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't own one, but have looked into them myself. (I'm a 1911 guy, too. :) But FWIW, my home defense shotgun is a Mossberg.)

Anyway, despite what looks to be a ridiculous price for that gun, I read a post on another board which broke it down by option (sorry no link for you). If you bought a vanilla 870 and had all the work done to it that goes into the Vang you'd end up paying more money. And the Vang is accepted as being top quality.

That said, the porting isn't going to help much, and the finish is a bit overkill considering the gun probably won't even go outside. Buying an 870 and doing everything to it but those two items might save you a couple-three hundred bucks. But then you wouldn't have a Vang, and you said price wasn't really an issue.

Another option worth looking into is the Scattergun Technologies stuff from Wilson. I've heard good things about these, too. But I think they're even more than Vangs, price wise.

-- Sam

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a Mossberg 590A1 Mariner from Vang that I'm really happy with.

I think it's important to remember that Vang's patent is for the back-boring of the barrel, not the porting. But the two combined make for an incredibly soft shooting 12 gauge. I routinely put 100 shells of Federal Tactical 00 buck through my gun with little or no fatigue.

The main benefit to the mod, though, is the patterning. The spread of tactical buckshot through my gun is only 4.5 inches at 16.5 yards!

I patterned this gun at a tactical class where I was the only one with a Vang. Of course, everyone else had 10+ inches of spread at that distance.

Like you, I decided to just go all the way and get a shotgun I'd be happy to have for the rest of my life.

From Vang I got the following:
- barrel mods (porting and back-boring)
- extra large safety
- hi-visibility mag follower
- SideSaddle installed
- tritium front bead

After I got the gun, I added:
- CQB 3-point sling
- Aimpoint red-dot sight (for slugs out at the range)

I think the only downside to Vang is that you have to pay for it. But I was very happy with the work they did on mine.

G

·
Thank you for the comments/insight, it is sincerely appreciated. I almost had myself convinced to go with a 590A1 as well but...something about the "feel" versus the 870 pulled me towards the Remington product (smooth?). I would be satisfied with either choice I'm sure.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yup, the action on a Mossberg is always going to feel a little "gritty" compared to an 870. I have the Marinecote finish, which makes it a little better than the Parkerized one, but I still don't think it's as silky as a Remy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Vang barrel on one of my 870's. It is non-ported and it is every bit as good as they say.
If I could afford one, I'd buy a complete Vang 870P in a heartbeat.
Mike

G

·
There is nothing wrong with the Vang Comp, I would go for the unported model though.

Before you plunk down a wad of money; measure off the longest possible shot in your home, go to the range and pace it off and shoot several different loads. Unless you live in a palace, I doubt you'll wind up with a 00 group larger that 5" from a stock 870 Police Magnum.

I think complete reliability is a better source for the confidence you seek in the weapon you choose for such a task. My advice would be to go this route: Buy an 870 Police magnum, stay away from the express guns. Get the barrel length, finish and sight option of you choice a parkerized rifle sighted, 18" gun with a parkerized finish would be mine. Have the stock cut to fit you a little on the short side and install a decelerator recoil pad. Fit is crucial, for this reason I would choose the wood stock model.

Place an order at brownells for a stainless steel mag follower, a wolf mag-spring and a tacstar side saddle. Install those along with a simple carry strap and you'll have one of the very best guns possible to defend hearth and home with. No extended crap is necessary and is therefore omitted.

If you want to splurge, send it to Robar. Have them install a set of their ghost-rings (the best available), install a surefire 6V respoder forend, Roguard / NP3 finish and texture / polymax the stock.

G

·
And after you've done ALL the things that Jim70 suggested, go down to the local MBZ dealer and pick up a nice C Class to transport it to and from the range with.

It's all the little things that matter.

·
Registered
566 Posts
"There is no functional disadvantage with the Express" is quite true. The 870 Police Magnum, however, is built to withstand much tougher conditions than the Express. Also keep in mind that the Vang shotgun was never targeted at the "HD" scenario. It has the superior advantage in tactical situations experienced by law enforcement and military. One can hardly say that home defense situations are "tactical" in nature.
The 870 Express is quite fitting for everyday or HD use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.