Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
On the question of Velocity vs Patterns......We found at the factories that a velocity near, or slightly below, the speed of sound gave the most even patterns, no matter what the shot size. At this speed there was very little shock wave pellet to pellet. Dr. Francis Sell ran many test years ago on high-density loadings that proved the point also. For quail and dove....the best shell we found was a trap load (7% antimony).....in 1 1/8 oz of #8's.
The Dram Eqv. of a shell does not tell much about velocity with factory lead shot loads, as most loads give around 1175/1275 '/"
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't have the data for 1350'/" , but my daas sheets from the test show the velocity at 1330 '/'"........By 20 measuered yards, the load has dropped below the speed of sound. As the load leaves the barrel in more or less a solid mass, the speed of sound is broken.....thus the noise. As the load travels , the shock wave pellet to pellet comes into play. Once under the speed of sound (no shock wave) the pellets continue on the angle produced by the shock wave.
A thought......if a shot charge is dropped from a tower, it will scatter very little and hit the ground in a small circle.
All of this must take into consideration shot deformation also. Tests we have done to verify Sells work was done with hard copper and nickel plated shot.
As for as arguement with shooters who can not understand the shock wave study......my advice is don't argue.
Best Regards, James

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.