Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine just bought an 1187 remington he has been used to his old dbl barrel ..we went trap shooting he missed 20 out of 20 birds then tried his old dbl barrel and hit 2 out of 3 .I have tried to tell him alot has to to with the fact that the 1187 is vent rib and you need to line up both front and back sights . not so much like the 1 bead on his dble barrel . am I totally wrong ? we are not professional trap shooter ,just your plain old duck and pheasent hunters who enjoy hunting ..
Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Forget about the barrel and look at the target. If you're lining up the beads as if they are sights on a rifle, you're setting yourself up for a miss. The misses with the 11-87 are very likely caused by the different stock dimensions between it and the double which cause it to shoot to a slightly different spot. Shoot some patterns with it to see where it is patterning.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
gun fit, gun fit, gun fit..........................did I mention gun fit?? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Throw your gun up at a target like you are going to shoot. Now close your left eye. Your right eye should be looking straight down the barrel or rib to the target. Stick-on comb pads for cast or height can do wonders.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'll echo the gun fit and patterning (point of impact) thing. There's a big balance difference between the two, as well. Entirely different gun than what he was used to, so it should come as no surprise that he would have a little trouble hitting stuff. I've seen examples that go the other way, but if he had been shooting his double for a LONG time, it was probably enough of a switch to mess him up, kinda like when I have to drive my wife's car instead of my truck.

There is no aiming with shotguns. There is no "stacking the beads". If you treat the beads or rib on a shotgun like they were some kind of sighting system, you're just about guaranteed to miss behind. They're there primarily to help you make sure the gun fits you. Once you've determined gun fit, there are very few good things about ribs and beads that can be said. You should simply SEE the barrels in your non-central vision, you should NOT actually look at them. A lot of top shooters say they don't see the barrels. What's really going on is that their subconcious mind sees the blurry barrels, but their focus is so hard on the target that they don't realize it. They've developed the necessary self-discipline it takes to not stare at the huge rib on top of their guns. I'm sure there will be posters who are "top shots" that will argue that point, but when your eye is a few inches behind 30" of textured steel, with our field of vision, it's impossible to physically not see the gun in our hands. The whole idea of a rib is to stand out (mostly related to lighting conditions). In certain conditions, a rib does help your subconcious targeting computer line up a shot, but what seems to happen way too often is that it jumps out at you TOO much and you start staring at it and aiming. The rib on my Beretta o/u used to attract my attention too much. When I started shooting a sxs with a swamped, concave rib, my shooting improved, because I started focusing hard on the target instead of the runway brazed to my top barrel, but I CAN still see the barrels. They're blurry, but I can see that they're there. When I shoot my Beretta these days, I do better about focusing hard on the target, but sometimes I lapse and start staring at the rib, and I invariably miss behind. I think my Beretta might need to find a new home soon.

As was said before, have him mount the gun (unloaded, of course) several times to see how the rib lines up in his vision. By mount the gun, I mean gun to cheek, not the typical rifleman's mount of slamming it into the shoulder and moving around the head until things "look right". Make necessary corrections until it lines up properly, then never look at the rib/beads again! Focus on the target, keep the gun moving, and the hits will start coming. If they don't, get rid of the auto and go back to shooting a double. After all, REAL shotguns have two barrels... one right next to the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts