Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently looked at a Verona lx502 at Dick's. It seems to be a nice gun. A little stiff, but it's brand new. I am considering buying a new o/u for hunting pheasant and shooting trap. I do both occasionally and am looking for a relatively inexpensive two barrel gun. I am concerned that the cheeper guns won't be reliable. I have also seen the Lanber's, and the Huglu/DeHaan guns on the web. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dan, Welcome from another newcomer to the forum. I just got my Verona a week ago and finally tried it out this past Saturday at the trap range. See my thread "My first O/U" in this section. Got a lot of hints from the experts here that will help you too. I did a search on Verona here and on other forums as well before I bought, and in general, the Verona seems to be well liked by its owners. There were a few negative posts, but most writers had nothing but praise; to which I will now add my own. I put 125 rounds through it and it worked right every time that I didn't goof up. You're right, the action is VERY stiff at first, but it will loosen up as you shoot. Can you buy a better gun? Sure. For $600? I doubt it. You'll find it a little light for trap, but it should be a good skeet gun and perfect for upland hunting, which is what it really is configured for.
Great bunch of helpful people here. You should find a lot of good information and expertise.
Bill -- The RevolverDude

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the LX502 as my first O/U. I use it for hunting and it is pretty much my go to trap gun. I am not certain why anyone would need a heavier gun for trap. I consistently break 22+ with it and recently had my personal best (I am new to this sport) of 37 straight. I have tried other guns for trap but this one doesn't seem to be broken so ain't going to fix it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have 2 LX 502's in 12 and 20g.I love the guns they fit me great and I shoot them well. I've shot almost 2000 rds through my 12g and its still as tight as when I bought it. The guns are made by F.A.I.R, high end and very expensive guns! I will warn you of this. They have NO customer service-IT SUCKS!!! I am right now fighting with them to get choke tubes I ordered a month ago. This seams to be the biggest problem with them. If your willing to spend $600 you migh try looking for a used Beretta- at least you will be able to find tubes or it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Welcome there, Dan the Planner (and thank you much for extending a welcome, Revolver Dude!) Dan, I hope you'll stick around and join in this long and wonerful conversation we are having!

Looks like you've getting some good advice already, and you're likely to get more. If I were you, I'd follow Revolver's excellent words of wisdom, employ the search engine, and look up every entry on Verona. In particular, since GKMAC seems to have had problems with their customer service, you should look for confirmation of that--or disproof if such is out there. One post doesn't make truth, but if you find several which say their customer service has problems, that's a definite consideration.

For example, DO NOT take the following comment as advice or expertise, it's just PREJUDICE: I have shot Veronas and hated them, but I hasten to add that I've hated every single O/U I've ever shot. I'm not sure quite why--they feel tall and gawky in my hand. I always feel I have to lift my head to look over the barrels (bad mount?) Friends have Veronas and love them. Maybe you will love one too--and hey, look at it this way: I'll never ask to borrow the damn thing :lol:

·
Registered
827 Posts
well i can say i love my 502 bought it 4 weeks ago and it shoots great shot 23/25 out of the box on the trap range with it and havent looked back

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
See? There you go, I bet Verona lovers are out there and happy with them :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only thing that I would like to add is that the O/U's that are less expensive than the Verona aren't necessarily "unreliable". I looked at the Verona long and hard when I purchased my Stoeger Condor. Aside from a little better wood to metal fit, and (I think it had a barrell selector), I didn't see a $300.00 difference. So far, only @ 600 rounds, the Condor has held up great with no issues at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Planner Dan,
What did you decide about the Verona? Hope you got the feedback you were seeking, but we're interested in hearing what you did with it. I've taken my Verona to the skeet range a few times now -- never shot skeet before this -- and it is working like a charm. Have never had a mechanical fault. I'm very pleased. I'm also hooked -- bigtime! In fact, now I want to get a 20 ga., just to see how it is different. I think I'd better learn how to shoot the 12 ga. first, but if I ever get up into the 20's with it. Gunstore, here I come.
Bill the Revolver Dude

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shotgunners,
I appreciate all of your feedback and advice. I have however decided to take a different path. I recently started the paperwork for an Ithaca/SKB Model 100 SxS in 12 ga. I'll pick it up late next week. It has been a tough choice with all of the options out there, but I decided that since I hunt more often than shoot, that a more traditional shotgun might be the way to go. I tend to hunt with a bunch of guys who have more money than they know what to do with (ie: new Browning Citori's and Benelli's) and they believe that the more money spent the more accurate the gun... an older side by side and lots of practice is just the thing to put them in their place.

Thanks again for all of the input.

Dan the Planner

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone bought choke tubes recently from BC Outdoors? Is BC Outdoors responsive in getting items shipped out quickly that are ordered from their website? I was just invited to be on a team for a skeet league. I need to buy one more skeet choke, but I only have a coouple of weeks. I saw that Briley makes chokes as well, but they are considerably more expensive. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts