Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into Gander Mtn and Galyans tonight intent on looking at the Stoeger Condor. While I did find a Condor, I also found a Verona LX 503 (gander mtn) and a Verona LX 505 (galyans). Neither store had any literature on the Veronas and each store said that the model at the other store did not exist. Neither were correct unless i'm going crazy. I even went back to Galyan's after visiting gander mtn to verify that i hadn't misread the model number. I thought the LX-505 was a nice gun. It was really light and had a good 'swing' to it. But then again, what do I know. I'm a novice and that's why I'm posting here.

My question is what is the deal with Verona? After searching through the SGW archives, i've found that pmcammo.com is the outfit which imports these guns, but their website was a bit scary. Half of the links did not work and neither of the 503/505 models were listed as models made by Verona. I tried to send an email to them using the address listed on their site - and it bounced back. Nice. I've also read enough SGW threads to see that there is some concern over BC's customer support. The fact that I have to ask here about their products rather than ask them should be evidence enough that I should move on and look at the Franchi or Beretta, but at the pricepoint its hard to make those snap decisions.

So are the LX503/LX505 models discontinued? Or maybe short-run models made specially for those two outlets? Seems unlikely, but then again I could be (and often am) wrong. In fact I may have seen a posting about a verona LX504 available at cabellas.... so that thought may have some weight behind it.

I won't even ask 12-vs-20 as i know that is a rhetorical question. I just don't know the answer yet. :)

tnx

Steve

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is a confusing subject. The LX501 is on there website that is what all these guns are. Now Dicks sporting goods has the LX502, Gander has the LX503, Cabelas has the LX504, and this is new to me but it figures that Galyans has the LX505. Mechanicaly and feature wise they are the same. However there are a few differences. The LX501 is a blued reciever but the LX502 and 503 are a nickle finish. I don't know what the differences in each are. It is not mechanical or quality just cosmetic. The LARGE chains seem to get there own store model. Small dealers get the LX501.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John is absolutely right. Mechanically they are virtually all the same gun. The stocks tend to vary a little. My LX502 has a highly polished oil finish while the Gander Mountain and Galyans both have a plain finish on their stocks. The Galyans model is a black receiver with gold birds. I have had absolutely no problems with my Verona. I use it in the field and it has become my exclusive trap gun. My scores have gone up quite nicely using it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The guns are made in Italy by F*A*I*R. They are top end and expensive! The only difference between the models are cosmetic,they are the same mechanically. The guns are every bit as good as a Berretta. And yes they have a big problem with costemer service. I know this first hand. I ordered choke tubes on Sep. 13 (I was told they were in stock) and still have not recieved them. I still would recomend a Verona just buy the tubes from Tru lock.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks for the info. In my orig post I mentioned that I emailed them with some questions and the email bounced. I CC'd another address from their site and apparently that one got through and i received a short but to the point answer:

"The 501,502 ,503,504,505, All of these models have the
same internal parts. The 502 thru 505 are exclusive to the
store that sells them."

I had asked some other questions in the same email which were ignored all together, but at least they did reply to my email within 48 hours, so its not a total loss. :)

I've been fighting a battle in my head - a battle of the low end O/Us. Stoeger Condor or Verona LX? A friend recommended a Traditions o/u but those just don't seem to be available where i've looked -- at least not the models under $1k. A subplot to this battle is whether to go 12ga or 20ga. More and more i'm leaning towards a 12ga since i plan on trap or skeet more so than hunting and i've been convinced that 20ga is a handicap when shooting clay for all but the experts.

Thanks for the replies - i'm glad I came across the site. I've spent countless hours reading info in the various forums and its been quite helpful.

73, Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also wanted to look at the Galyans model the "505"- I actually wanted to look at the Sporting Model they offer inside their mailer. My local Galyans didn't have one and I had to drive 2hrs away to find out that the gun they had pictured was not the gun they were selling- I am leary of Galyan's right now...I feel like they gave me the bait and switch. I emailed them yesterday and have yet to hear back.

Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I searched long and hard before I bought my Verona. I did not want to sock a lot of money in an o/u because I had never owned one and was uncertain if I would like it. I looked at the Stoegers, Huglu, Verona, Traditions, Gazelle and Silma. The Verona was much better looking than all the others and seemed to have the most positive responses. I bought it and in the first box I had one problem--but it was pilot error. I did not let all the way off the trigger and it never completely reset. That was literally in the first few shells. I have shot thousands since and had no problems. I then wondered why anyone would shoot anything other than an o/u. Went out and bought a special Browning right away. Then saw a Huglu that I liked and bought it. I had talked to 4 different gun dealers in literally 4 counties and they all gave it a positive review. I owned it 8 days and it was the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. I would recommend Verona to anyone as long as you understand that their customer service leaves A LOT TO BE DESIRED. Like to never got chokes out of them. I ran up such long distance charges trying to get them to comply (toll free number got me nowhere) with my faxed and emailed order that they actually sent me 3 chokes free. It is a solid functioning gun and it has been viewed admiringly at many sporting clays, skeet and trap ranges. It shoots true. It is not exactly the same feel as my Browning but it was not intended to be. The poster above who refers to the manufacturer is exactly right. I Rizzini is one of the most respected gun makers on the face of the planet.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Guest543, GKMAC, kt13 -- which ***** verona did you end up with? 12 or 20ga? I am leaning towards the 12ga at gander mtn (LX503) rather than the LX505 at galyans... mostly due to price. Galyan's has a 110% price match but 505/503 is probally enough of a difference that they wont' match the $80 price difference at gander mtn.

73, Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
12 gauge. I considered the 20 gauge as well for my daughters to use but it was going to require a little more fitting than I wanted to do--especially if they fell out of love with shooting. I am a big guy and didn't want to get stuck with a cut down adult gun. So they got 1100 LT20 (which if need be I could sell much easier than the above chopped down adult 20). I love that Verona however. I think that there probably is enough difference in the appearance that neither Galyans nor Gander would regard their respective models as the same gun. But mechanically there is no difference. Just be aware of their customer service issues. Dick's Sporting Goods has had no better luck with chokes than anyone else.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I bought the LX 502 in both 12 and 20 g. The 20 is nice to carry when hunting it is a good bit lighter than the 12. If i'm ever able to get choke tubes out of them for the 20 i'll use it for clays. I have never handled a gun that felt as nice to me as my LX 502 in 20g. I do recomend the gun to anyone just go else where for tubes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Models 503 sold exclusivley to Gander mountain
Model 502 Exclusive to Dicks Sporting Goods
Model 504 Exclusive to Cabelas
Model 505 Exclusive to Galyans
These models are the same specs as the 501's
The recievers vary in finish from store to store
The 505-12cs features a Hi Vix X-coil recail pad and a Hiviz f/sight, as well as Briley spectrum chokes.
As this company (BC Outdoors) is growing rapidly we are continually struggling to keep up. Be advised that changes have been made for the POOR customer service and proactive changes will continue. Eldorado Cartridge Corperation parent company DBA PMC Ammo, DBA BC Outdoors.
The above listed firearms are currantly in production and are backed by limt. Lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My guess on the reason for the different model numbers for each retailer is this: Many of those stores have low-price guarantees. They get around it by stating that they will give you the lower price only on the same exact model. If the other store's model is a different number, they don't have to honor the low-price guarantee. Electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) do it all the time.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just wanted to follow-up on the customer service aspect of my question. Over the past week i've exchanged several emails with Tom at PMC/BC and was very satisfied with the prompt replys to my emails and was even given the opportunity to call him with other questions. I think they are making an effort to improve customer service since alot of the older posts about Verona complain about it. Hopefully that is true and i've decided to pick up a LX503 in the near future.

Thanks to all those who've replied here! What a great resource...

73, Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Verona, they lost my business, I mailed and asked for a catalog, I never even got a reply from them nor a catalog, so I bought a Beretta sporting clays gun instead, they lost my sale but I got a much nicer gun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have also been considering an O/U by Verona specifically the LX502 that is offered at dicks but have continually seen problems with the customer support being mentioned regarding this company. The local Dick's actually does stock a few different replacement chokes for this gun in the 12ga size but I was mainly interested in the 20ga which made me leary given the obvious lack of response from direct factory orders. I saw someone here mentioned that Tru-lock offered chokes for these guns and was wondering if they offered them for the 20ga or just the 12ga and where I could order them.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just an update -- i did end up buying the Verona LX503 (the "Gold Pheasant") from Gander Mtn. I got my first chance to shoot it (was actually my first time shooting any shotgun) today when I did 2 rounds of trap with some buddies from my ham radio club. The Verona worked great. I shot a 15/25 and then a 19/25.

All of my questions I asked BC/PMC about the Verona guns were promptly answered via email. So far I can't complain about the gun or the company.

73, Steve

·
Registered
810 Posts
It looks as though they are improving in the customer service problem. I have had my problems taken care of and am happy once again. It seems like more people are feeling that way. If BC Outdoors has their act together - look out Berretta !

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the LX-504 (Tartaruga Gold) 20 ga. from Cabela's and have been very pleased. I put roughly 300 rounds thru it so far via sporting clays, pheasants and grouse. They are made by FAIR Rizzini of Italy. I don't think you will find a better gun in that price range, it compares well to guns twice its price in both fit, finish, and quality IMO.

I have also sent several e-mail questions to BC Outdoors and have been answered within 1-2 days each time. They carry and sell additional chokes tubes and can be ordered from their website.

PS Briley also carries a full line of choke tubes for the Verona

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.