Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired this piece from my grandfather (Sorry for the rust, I haven't had a chance to clean it yet). All I know about it is that it was purchased in an English pub in 1954 or 1955 and was used for pigeon hunting. have never seen a shotgun like this before and am really interested what it is.

This picture comes from under the barrels. On top of the barrels beween the two is written "Bacon's Patent". Also written on two places, once on the barrel and once on the stock is the number 3165, which I think might be its number in the production run.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I know it's an old Bacon shotgun but not much more. I get the impression, from reading The Gun and It's Development by W.W. Greener, not many were made so there may be some collectors value. I think the best course of action would be to find out what pub your Dad bought it in and go back to get a refund. :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Duck, I am no expert but I have seen a lot of shotguns and have never seen one of those. I would recommend you do not try to remove the rust or otherwise agressively clean it until you know what you have. I have seen plenty of nice antiqyes ruined by cleaning, only to have an expert say-- Gee I wish you had never tried to fix this up.
It is unique. You might try posting on http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Stonecove

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.