Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently given my grand fathers old side by side 12 gauge. It is stamped W.Moore & Co London. The only other stamping I can find says it is laminated steel. It has double triggers and exposed hammers. It is nicely engraved on the sidelocks and reciever. The bottom of the butt stock has a small brass inlay.

I have done some searching on the net but could find no information on the piece. Can anyone give me an idea on its age or any othe information.

My grand father passed away in 1968 and my uncle said it was an old gun when gramps used it in the 40's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also have 1 that was resently given me. Yet it is a 14 *****. All I have found out is that it dates pre 1900's.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
There should be more info even if it's just proof marks. Like under the forearm , on the watertable, on the rib, somewhere.

Most london gunmakers had their address on it somewhere it seems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a Wm. Moore & Co. shotgun. SxS 16ga. Cast steel stamped on barrel rib. Several proofmarks(?) on lower reciever under barrels. It is an underlever gun without a forearm and a smaller lever used to secure the barrels.
How can I find info on this gun? I only know that it is very old and kind of rough.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Farmer and Jackie's guns could be British or Belgian , however most of his breach loaders were marked William Moore & Grey. Muzzle loaders being marked just William Moore. Mastertec's gun is about 90% sure Belgian with the Lefaucheux type action. Like Marland says. we need proof marks. Cheers ...Bushrod

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have all the marks I can find on mine drawn out on paper. If someone can tell me how i will try to post them. (Please excuse my ignorance.)
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there!!! I also have a shotgun manufactured by W.MOORE&CO. It has "LONDON FINE TWIST" I beleive on the barrel. It actually belongs to a friend of mine. We have both been hunting fo information on this gun to no avail. In the books it says that National Arms Co. is the successor to the Moore's Patent Firearms Company in 1865. Purchased by the Colt Company in 1870. We look at Moore's and it says "see Colt". We look at Colt and it says "see Moore's". I only seen one gun in the book and it was a muzzle loader. the one we have is a double barrel, side by side, two trigger, 16 gauge ( I think), ( never tried to load it yet)., two hammers ( of course). With beautiful scrolling!!! It is in great shape. So, I would say, if it has W.MOORE&CO. on it, it should be prior to 1865. I'm not sure though. We would appreciate any information anyone could give us on this fine specimen!!! Thankyou. Email me at [email protected] or reply to this site. Thanks Again. Steven.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts