Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own a W. W. Greener shotgun?

Any opinions on Greener shotguns?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
526 Posts
1cdog - I do not own a W. W. Greener, but the man was an inventive genius and excelled in his day as a maker of best guns. The firm, started in 1829 by his father, continues to make beautiful guns today.

While they will make you a new gun to order, their web site has several outstanding pre-owned Greener's:
http://www.wwgreener.com/bpguns.htm

Copies of his book, "The Gun and its Development", are available from amazon.com

Merry Christmas - Shoot Safe, SidelockSxS

·
Registered
981 Posts
1cdog: sidelockSxS is correct W.W. GREENER was an inventive genius. He not only made what the ENGLISH call the (best or finest) box & sidelock shotguns. He also invented the GREENER cross bolt lock up for shotguns for added lock up strength. Sometimes called the third fastner.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
A Semi-retired gunsmith I did some work with, grabbed his old Greener and showed it to me.
He said it was the gun that made him fall in love with shotguns.

It was very light. Solid feel.

He said that while the side safety was unique, & cool looking, he now did not like it for real hunting situations. He found it cumbersom.

I am a big fan of the look of all the Greener guns. The short boxlock. The solid, file rib.
I like the Prince of Wales grip on many of them.
Anyone who has a Merkel probably admires that flavor of gun.
The Greener crossbolt is the first thing that greets you on the guns.

Roger.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
According to Shotgun Technicana, the Greener Crossbolt Action is the strongest action ever made for a SxS shotgun. I've got a gun built on this action and it's never "missed a lick".

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a couple of Beretta O/U's that I do most of my shooting/hunting with these days.

Thinking about puchasing an older English SxS though to take hunting from time to time - perhaps a Greener.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1cdog said:

Hello I live in Derbyshire in the UK. I own a WW Greener SxS with double triggers it was made in 1892 was my Grandfathers, then my Fathers and I have the duty of maintaining this fine bespoke sporting arm for future generations.

It truly is a work of the gunmakers art and I shoot with it on the Boxing Day Shoot (26 December ) every year. 2 Days before its next outing.

WW Greener are still in business and have a website. They are based in Pinkney Park in the Cotswolds. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
1cdog said:

Re Greener

There is also a book available written by Graham Greener "The Greener Story"

both Standard and Presentation copies available. I will post pics to your e.mail if poss.

CL

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clover, thanks for the insight.

Nice to know that one made in 1894 is still being used.

Good luck with your Boxing Day Shoot.

Have you been to the Greener facility in Pinkney Park/Cotswolds?

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
I was left several Greeners from dad and my uncles. They are great guns with wonderful features. My favorite belonged to my great grandfather and was made in 1888. It has beautiful Damascus barrels and Dad had the barrels fully lined and reproofed by the Greener company back in the 50's. It is a short chambered 10ga and it handles like a light 12ga. I will hunt with it tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1cdog said:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ruger4570 said:
John Wayne liked them too and even told someone in a movie ( I forgot the name) to get his Greener.
I think the name was "Martha" and she was his wife.

I can't remember the name of the movie though. The movie/Western had something to do with the kidnapping of his grandson.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
:D Merry Christmas to all!! The movie was called "Big Jake" one of my favorite J.W. movies. His son in the movie (and in real life his son, Patrick) carried a very early Bergmann semi-auto pistol BTW.

Again, Merry Christmas!!

Greg

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I visited the Greener workshop about a year ago; it's at Hagley Hall Stourbridge, near Birmingham.

The gunsmiths there have the most amazing skills and knowledge; the standard of the work they produce is breathtaking. Looking at a new action made by them is like looking at a Swiss watch. A current Greener is IMO every bit as good as a Boss or Purdey and it's certainly going to cost as much.

Graham Greener is a most obliging and helpful bloke; he has all the old company records to hand and can give you (for a small fee) chapter and verse on any Greener ever made. He was on a shoot with me in Wales last week.

I have just sold a 1908 Greener SxS and own two of the single barrel GP's, Personally I found the greener side safety very easy and simple to use.

Happy Christmas to all,

Regards
Eug

·
Registered
30,249 Posts
It was "Alice, Go get me my Greener!!!" :lol:

It's well to remember this about W.W. Greener:

1. He could write. The man had a style about his writing that is still readable today, and will be in another century. The single most important gun book ever written was "The Gun and It's Development", and the last edition of 1910 has been reprinted so many times, even in paperback, that it shouldn't be hard to find. You owe it to yourself to get that book. It's surprisingly useful and current, given that it first came out in 1880.

2. He didn't invent the idea of choke boring, but he's the man who first perfected choke boring, marketed it, and started selling lots and lots of shotguns with chokes. He's the Henry Ford of choked shotguns.

3. W.W. Greener was the son of a gunmaker, and made his guns in Birmingham. Greener was rightfully pissed off at how the British viewed Birmingham made guns as being lesser quality than London made guns. Greener could, and did, make "best sidelock" guns that rivaled the very best London offered. But, his real contribution to double shotguns was that he made and sold upteen thousands of good, solid, workable, durable, boxlocks with his "Greener crossbolt", complete with his eccentric side safety. Each one was virtually handmade, and as functional as any shotgun ever put out by anyone. If it's a Greener, it's a fine English shotgun, that sells for a few thousand dollars, instead of tens of thousands of dollars. Greeners are true bargains.

4. The man used his genius to build a very large concern, and employed a lot of people in the Birmingham gun trade. He earned his prosperity, built a fine estate, worked hard until well into his 80's, and was a patriotic citizen during the First World War. Like many other men of genius, he was somewhat eccentric and held strong opinions, and it shows in his guns. In many ways, he's an English Bill Ruger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1cdog said:

Unfortunately I have not been to Greeners workshops. However it probably will be on the cards at the end of the season as mine is due a full strip and clean by craftsmen.

I have just run a wool mop through it and prepared everything for tomorrows shoot.

Driving through the Derbyshire countryside this morning it was calm and peacefull. Near our shooting ground I saw a couple of large coveys of Partridge and the Springers later sent up quite a few Pheasants. Hopefully we will walk up the same game tomorrow.

There is a heavy frost tonight and the high ground will probably see some snow. Perfect conditions for a good day.

So Merry Christmas to all affecianados of Greeners, and here's to a good days hunting tomorrow.

CL

·
Registered
9 Posts
SuperXOne said:
It was "Alice, Go get me my Greener!!!" :lol:

It's well to remember this about W.W. Greener:

1. He could write. The man had a style about his writing that is still readable today, and will be in another century. The single most important gun book ever written was "The Gun and It's Development", and the last edition of 1910 has been reprinted so many times, even in paperback, that it shouldn't be hard to find. You owe it to yourself to get that book. It's surprisingly useful and current, given that it first came out in 1880.

2. He didn't invent the idea of choke boring, but he's the man who first perfected choke boring, marketed it, and started selling lots and lots of shotguns with chokes. He's the Henry Ford of choked shotguns.

3. W.W. Greener was the son of a gunmaker, and made his guns in Birmingham. Greener was rightfully pissed off at how the British viewed Birmingham made guns as being lesser quality than London made guns. Greener could, and did, make "best sidelock" guns that rivaled the very best London offered. But, his real contribution to double shotguns was that he made and sold upteen thousands of good, solid, workable, durable, boxlocks with his "Greener crossbolt", complete with his eccentric side safety. Each one was virtually handmade, and as functional as any shotgun ever put out by anyone. If it's a Greener, it's a fine English shotgun, that sells for a few thousand dollars, instead of tens of thousands of dollars. Greeners are true bargains.

4. The man used his genius to build a very large concern, and employed a lot of people in the Birmingham gun trade. He earned his prosperity, built a fine estate, worked hard until well into his 80's, and was a patriotic citizen during the First World War. Like many other men of genius, he was somewhat eccentric and held strong opinions, and it shows in his guns. In many ways, he's an English Bill Ruger.
A point that may be of interest with regard to Guns sold in the St James area of London. eg Purdey, Churchill. Is that a lot of their work was carried out in the Birmingham Gun Quarter and then finished off as best quality sidelocks with a prestigeous title.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Considering an older Greener.

Have been told the barrels needs "reproofing."

Exactly what constitutes "reproofing"?

Apologizing in advance if this is a stupid question.

·
Registered
526 Posts
1cdog - At the bottom of the following web page the proofing charge for a shotgun appears to be 30 British Pounds, or about $60.00. http://www.gunproof.com/Proofing/proofing.html

An option for older guns suffering from thinning barrel walls due to extended use (or from removing metal in an effort to get rid of pitting) is to have the barrels sleeved which costs only a fraction of rebarreling. Briley offers this service - scroll down the following link to barrel work: http://www.briley.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=17

In the case of a W.W. Greener, or any other gun, the re-proofed gun is deemed safe for continued use of cartidges up to the proof limit. A sleeved gun would need to be re-proofed for use in the U.K. Were I considering a Greener, I would send them an e-mail with the serial number of the gun and follow up with a phone call to determine the best course of action. They can also verify that the gun is a genuine Greener. While this is not as simple as going out and buying an 870 off the rack at your local gun shop, in the end you could have a wonderful high-end gun at a very reasonable cost. The Adventure continues...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts