Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to purchase 1 oz wads. From reading past posts, I have narrowed my choice down to either Green Dusters or the new yellow Windjammers (WJ2). My question deals with the "petals" on the shot cup. The Dusters have 4 wide petals while the Windjammers have 8 narrow ones. I know I'm probably splitting hairs here, but any benefit of one desighn over the other? Seems to me that the thinner 8 petal wad would open up quicker, "releasing" the shot easier with less constiction.

What are the general opinion about these wads in general and would you prefer one over another to puchase and why? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I really like the 8 petal Windjammer design. While they dont pattern quite as tight as some wads they have always given me the best most even pattern out of all my guns. They do fall away from the shot quicker than most wads. Normally they don't even make it to the trap house with my 1oz loads. I'm not sure how that actualy effects the pattern (but I'm sure some one will) but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with why the patterns from them are so nice.

Tim

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
The Duster wads will deliver a hotter core than the WJ's, the Dusters actually hold shot in the cup longer but still true to the target. Gives some really dense cores. And the blue Dusters with one ounce, still tighter yet.

I use a WJ for skeet or close targets, and Dusters for distant targets.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I see most you mention how quick the WJ's spread and how nice they pattern. I like them for the same reason but when I'm trap shooting and want a tight pattern I just shoot a tighter choke and still have the nicest pattern my gun will produce. Dont think the WJ's are just a skeet wad. Some of the best shooters (27rd AA) I know shoot them for 16yrds and handicap.

Tim

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I guess thats a bit of a different situation then. My trap gun (rem 3200) though has fixed chokes....tight and tighter... so its not really an issue there for me. I do however see alot of guys that are all wrapped up in choke tubes and are trying to get the tightest pattern they can not always the nicest. I thought those little tubes in the barrel were meant to be changed to suit the game... :wink:

Tim

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I thought those little tubes in the barrel were meant to be changed to suit the game
Short story, my first shotgun was also the first gun to come with removable chokes (model 59 Winchester, in 1959) and almost without exception, every gun since then had tubes.

I reached a point that I wanted to suit the tube to the discipline, if I didn't or was in a situation I was unable to, I felt extremely handicapped. So I went to my current gun with fixed I/M and shoot everything with it, and the choke never enters my mind----ever. My scores improved----all round, whether skeet or FITASC, I thought more about the target not about preparing for it. I may change shells sometimes, but only if they are handy and if not, it doesn't bother me.

I don't think about loose choke tubes, are they centered, do they pattern OK or did I forget how a particular tube did with a different shell. I've become better and enjoy it alot more.

I shoot all the IronMan events I can, and in some of those, you cannot change chokes once you start. So if it has skeet/trap/sporting in the mix, I am set.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
TexasTon said:
I don't think about loose choke tubes, are they centered, do they pattern OK or did I forget how a particular tube did with a different shell. I've become better and enjoy it alot more.
Sounds like you've been through the same as me. Now instead of buying a different choke tube I get a different gun.... :D

Tim

·
Registered
968 Posts
My choice would be the Jammer XL-1 (eight petal) or the plain XL-1 (four petal) from Downrange Mfg. These wads are produced wih the best virgin plastics, have the best adverse weather characteristics (cold-hot) have the best velocity for the amount of powder, and because of thier design produce the most consistent ballistics and patterns. See the full page ad in Shotgun Sports Magazine and other fine publications.

·
Registered
995 Posts
There was an article in Shotgun Sports Magazine some time back that featured the Windjammer wad, (or possibly the CB clone) and it stated that the leg section exerts pressure to the center of the shot charge and causes the crimp to open from the center while conventional wads exert pressure all around the shot. Also that the thinner petel thickness was like having a slightly more open choke than you have installed. But they do show lower pressures in their loading data. But I found that the CB Lightning wad has a longer leg section and sometimes you don't get the best crimp when using WAA shells. It works perfectly in the STS shells as they have more capacity. I use the Lightning for both 1 oz and 7/8 oz in the WAA shells using 700X and Tightwad powder as they are more dense and take up less space. The Downrange XL-1 worked real well also in the WAA shells, but it is slightly shorter that the 1 oz WAA wad or the Green Dusters. Kind of like the old PC Purple wads. They tell you to seat the wad so you have 3/8" above the shot before you crimp. V/R TonyG

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use the Windjammer wad in all my 1 0z loads. I like it because of consistency and cost. I did some patterning work with WAASL's and the winddjammers, and for some reason, the patterns were more consistent with the Windjammer wads when the hulls changed. I did end up going to a tighter choke, and had much the same experience as Texas Ton. I quit worrying about having the right choke, and started worrying about hitting the bird. Damdest thing, I got better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like Windjammer's are getting good reviews. Where are all of you finding your loading data using these wads, specifically the new yellow 1 oz WJ2's? I reload with Clays powder and both Remington STS's and Winchester hulls. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
They are differnt, no doubt about it! But if you look in the IMR, Alliant, Hodgdon, Accurate loading booklets it will become abundantly obvious they have a lot in common regarding actual performance in many, many loads!

BP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.