Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an 1100 in pretty bad shape cosmetically and had it parkerized. First time at the range with it yesterday I shot 6 boxes and on the last box I had a lot of trouble breaking. A friend shot it and said the poi was way off to the right, but it was fine up until the last round. Later when cleaning I noticed quite a bit of wad fouling, mostly on the lower right side of the barrel. Soaking in hoppe bore solvent and running a snake through took care of some of it, but there's still a bit that won't come out as the photo shows. Before cleaning it was thick enough to catch a fingernail and chip out. My 391 never fouls anywhere near this bad... it also doesn't have a parkerized bore.

Can wad fouling affect poi in a substantial way this quickly? Is the rapid build-up because of the bore being parkerized? Any tips to alleviate this issue and remove all of the fouling? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 870 that had a tendency to get a lot of plastic wad fouling. I finally realized that after cleaning the bore there was a little film of wad residue that would remain. One Saturday afternoon while I had no real plans but to watch the snow fall, I yanked the barrel off the 870 and started cleaning. I used Hoppes 9, Ballistol, Remington Bore Bright, Ed's Red, and finally some straight acetone and a whole bunch of elbow grease with a Tornado brush, brass brush, etc.

By the end of the day it was bright and shiny without a trace of ad residue. Since then, I shoot a little Bore Bright down the barrel then Bore Snake it and it looks new.

I can't say I've heard of a bore being parkerized but since yours is I think the rougher surface will make it easier for wad residue to accumulate but harder to clean.

Good luck.

·
Registered
27,086 Posts
Get the parkerizing out of the bore and your issues go away.

·
Registered
14,667 Posts
Thinks Occam's Razor--meaning don't think so much , the simplest answer is usually correct.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
"because of the bore being parkerized?"

Oh good heavens............................................................................

De-parkerize the bore, period.

Your bore should be, optimally, SMOOTH (mirror polished smooth).

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Oh, and whomever parked that bore for you....................

Do not let them near any of your firearms again.
Ever
Never ever
Even longer than never ever.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Wad Fouling?
I have heard about it and have seen it many times at my trap and skeet range.
It has never happened to me.
My semiautos, pumps, side x sides and over and under shotguns have never had wad fouling.
I only use Winchester AA Super Sport, or Remington Premier Nitros for sporting clays.
For hunting its Winchester Super X, Blindside, or Remington Express High Brass shotgun shells.
I never had any wad fouling hunting or clay shooting with this ammo.
A friend of mine was using Winchester Universals, Rios and Estates and his guns were filthy and loads of wad fouling.
I took him home with me after a shoot. I put a copper brush on a cleaning rod, sprayed WD-40 down the barrel, put the rod in a cordless drill and went to work on the barrel.
Got the barrel and choke tube like a mirror.
Dropped out his trigger assembly cleaned that and the whole receiver.
Then I coated everything with a light coat of CLP inside and out.
He changed his ammo and started using what I use and have had no fouling ever since.
Also he noticed his semiautos cleaned up 1 2 3 using the better ammo.
Maybe you should try better ammo and your fouling will become a thing of the past, starting off with a super clean barrel.
I take very good care of my guns, but my time also means a lot to me.
Why should I break my back cleaning filthy guns when I can just buy better ammo and they clean up in a breeze and no wad fouling.
Try better ammo and see if it helps.
Fred

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Freds484 said:
Why should I break my back cleaning filthy guns when I can just buy better ammo and they clean up in a breeze and no wad fouling.
Try better ammo and see if it helps.
Fred
I've never broke my back, or even much of a sweat, cleaning wad fowling, but it would take me quite a few gallons of sweat to earn the extra income to purchase ~20,000 rounds of premium ammo I would need every year.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I'll bet the most expensive "premium ammo" fouls on top of Parkerizing..........................

My back hasn't broke yet either.
I've sweated far more carrying a gun across miles and miles of cut milo and through plum thickets (and just sitting still on hot early Sept. afternoons) than I ever sweated cleaning anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.