Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a shotgun for my 13 year old grandson for Xmas. Was in the local Wally World this morning and they had Mossberg 500 12 gauge for $227 + tax. My question is are the Walmart guns any different than the rest of the them sold elsewhere? Local farm store has the 500 for $289+ tax. I was wondering what the difference is if any. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
As long as you stay with a trusted brand name gun I think W-Mart is fine. I would be very leery of their imported double guns as many have posted about problems with them. There is no difference in the quality of a Mosberg or Remington from W-Mart. Those manufacturers do not make a special line of cheap guns just to sell through W-mart. They sell them cheaper because they buy them is such large numbers that their wholesale price is much better than a small place that buys 1-5 at a time. I hope this helps and good luck to your young hunter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure if there was a difference. Which gun in your opinion would be better for him the 500 or 870 express? They had the express for $289. I am partial to Remingtons and Brownings but I bought my son a Mossberg 500 when he was 12 and he is still using it. He's 32 now. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,968 Posts
For my $300, I'd be hunting the racks for a gently used Wingmaster.

·
Registered
169 Posts
oldmansbike said:
Looking for a shotgun for my 13 year old grandson for Xmas. Was in the local Wally World this morning and they had Mossberg 500 12 gauge for $227 + tax. My question is are the Walmart guns any different than the rest of the them sold elsewhere? Local farm store has the 500 for $289+ tax. I was wondering what the difference is if any. Thanks
Maybe there is, mayber there isn't. Here's my story;
Around 4 or 5 years ago, I was looking for a shotgun for my 10 y/o son. After doing a bunch of research, I felt that the Winchester youth 1300 was the best one for my son. I talked to a friend with an FFL and got a price and was ready to order it. That day I stopped into WallyWorld and just happened to look at the guns. Here was a Winchester "youth ranger" or something to that effect, that was $50 cheaper than the other quote. I decide to call Winchester to make sure this was apples to apples and I was told the reason the name was different was because the stock was not as nice. I can't remember what the exact difference was, but I think it was one had checkering and the WW one didn't. Other than that, it was the exact same gun. Metal parts are exactly the same. The wood and finish on my gun is very good, just plain. The name stamped on the barrel is the same stamp as the non WW 1300's.

Unless you have issues against buying from WW I would go and get it. I have their youth 1300 and a 390 and am very happy with them.

So, is it the same? Yes, Can there be some differences? Yes.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
How does Wally World do it? A friend with an FFL was visiting a Manufacturer. Said to the Plant Manager who was leading the tour, Wally World lists guns at retail cheaper than I can get them wholesale. Howw come? the reply was that when he gets an order from Wally world it is for 5,000 units. If you want to order 5,000 units we can work out a pretty good deal with you too.

·
Registered
14,546 Posts
Sometimes WW will have a special order run of a certain model just for them. So does Bass Pro and Cabelas. But all standard guns are going to be the sme. The major manufacturers can't manage one quality system, at least they are smart enough to know they could never manage two.

·
Registered
30,199 Posts
In 2009, I don't think there's the slightest difference in the quality of Wal Mart guns and ones sold elsewhere, if they are the same model.

That being said, the best sixty dollars anybody could ever spend in a lifetime is the difference between a brand new Mossberg 500 at $227 and the Remington 870 and $287 at Wal Mart.

I sponsor a local FFA trap team. This year we have about thirty kids shooting. Mossberg 500's and Remington 870 Express shotguns are all over the firing lines.
I can pick up any kid's Remington 870 Express and shoot it just about as well as any shotgun I own. They are the best bargain in shotguns today, and probably the best bargain that's ever been offered for a hundred years.

The Mossy 500 is a good, decent shotgun. The Remington 870 Express is an excellent shotgun, and it's worth many times what a Mossberg 500 costs. It's way better, in just about every way you'd ever want to measure "better". :wink:

(I laid a couple side by side on the counter at Wal Mart last week in Sedalia. When you do that, it's like comparing a Timex with a Tudor (made by Rolex). The Remington is simply a plainly finished version of a much higher grade gun)

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
When it boils down to an 870 express vs a mossberg 500 it is either or. The express comes with only a mod choke tube and I think Mossberg gives you three or they used to anyway. Both are on par with each other giving entry level value to the customers that buy them. I've alway thought the 870 to be a little nicer and had friends swear by their Mossbergs. Take your pick. Maybe desecretly your son and you might go and try both and get his opinion without letting the cat out of the bag.

·
Registered
779 Posts
You can get any gun from WW and it will be fine. I have gotten a few shotguns and rifles from my WW and they are still in great shape and work great without a problem. If your Wally World has Charles Daly check them out as well. winchester is a great youth model. and so is the CD. I have 2 winchester 1300 12 and 20 ga. great guns and 2 Charles Daly's both 12 ga. one pump and one semi-auto. all 4 shotguns are great. Plus I d ohave a Marlin 39 golden. from wally world years ago when I worked their and had some strings pulled and got a nice scope the rifle, sling, case, 2 bricks of ammo for $175. you can't find a used Marlin 39 golden for less then $250 plus a new one for $299 and higher. great gun too.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't shop at Wally World anymore...nobody at the gun counter and if there were, chances are they wouldn't speak English.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
225 Posts
One thing to check is what chokes it comes with. The Remington 1187 Sportsman In MOBU Camo only comes with a MOD choke, compared to BassPro which come with a couple. BP can't even come close to the WM price ($567.00). My Local BP wants $749 for theirs and I could not see any difference other than a couple of chokes, which I bought an 870 Express Choke kit for $29.99 with the $50.00 rebate I got from Remington.

Every Once and a while Academy Sports puts the Mossy 500's on sale for $199.99, IIRC.

Hub

·
Registered
720 Posts
strut64,

The way I heard it first, and almost 45 years ago:

A small dealer called Remington to complain about the prices at Kmart, and that they where putting him out of buisness, "how could Kmart sell the same Remingtons cheaper then HE could buy them wholesale?

The person at Remington said, ""Oh it's easy to get the price break we give Kmart", " How many box car loads would you like to buy.""

Now it's WALLY WORLD getting the grief, but it is the same thing, so much of the days production is packaged and shipped that day, no questions asked, recorded wrapped stamped gone and paid for!

If you want to compete with that you mneed hundreds if not thousends of stores nation wide!

I miss the days of the neighborhood Kmarts! mine was buisier then the superstores have ever thought of being! Once they closed it there where other stores closer then where they put their super stores! two or three being small wally worlds!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Economics 101: Cheaper by the dozen; cheaper still by the millions. SuperXone is 'dead on' with his comments. I own both the 870 and the 500; the Mossberg is just not in the same league as the Remington. Since both are inexpensive to begin with, live it up and spend the few extra clams for the Remington; you will never regret it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You boys hit the nail on the head. i used to work for WW in sporting goods and thats exactly how it works. walmart orders thousands of guns at a time. Say a customer comes in and wants to special order a gun we didn't have in stock. We don't call remington or whoever and order one. We call the warehouse and have them ship us one of lord nows how many they got sittin in the back some where. But as far as the mossberg vs remington goes, they're both pump guns, you can't really tear em up. Buy the one that fits the boy the best cause thats the one he'll shoot the best.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure if there was a difference. Which gun in your opinion would be better for him the 500 or 870 express?
Hey OldMansBike, I don't know if you knew it from shotguns you examined, which sound fine, but did you know that Mossberg also makes a 500 in a "Bantam" model.

It has a slightly shorter stock, which might be an alternative to the full size 500 for a 13 year old. Maybe Wally World can order it in for you?

You will love whichever Mossberg you get.

/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all for your opinions. He doesn't need a youth model he is almost as big as I am. I am leaning towards the Express but his mother(my daughter) has some say in this too as she is paying half of the cost.

·
Registered
75 Posts
California Wally's dont sell guns and certain counties dont even sell rounds. Wish they did and wouldve bought my Moss 500 from them or maybe even gotten the Rem.

I wound up getting my combo from Big5 - $330 out the door. I have found out that the Big5 version of my gun uses a Maverick forend. A little dissappointed there as I cant easily swap out the forend without spending about $60 or so for replacement parts. Dont get me wrong, the Mav forend works fine and in some ways better and some worse. Its just not what the other 500's are using.

Im not sure if the newer Mossys are shipping that way or if they are made for certain retailers. You can check the forend by removing the barrel and if you see a wire clip across the forend, then you got the 1 piece Maverick forend.

·
Registered
57 Posts
there are 4 ww in driving distance of me. 1 of them sells guns. What if they all stop selling guns? What if all your local gun shops have been driven out of business by then? Buy your guns from the local gunshop. It's aplace where you can hang out,tell hunting lies and make friends.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts