Shotgun Forum banner

walmart 2006 shot guns?

10K views 97 replies 54 participants last post by  John3200 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what new shotguns walmart will carry in 2006?

I hope there is going to be a better selection

#5 ·
I have a charge card at walmart and they carry the Remington 870 , is 870 not a good model or somthing? I think walmart carry's fine shotguns, Im not saying the best but for what im using it for will do me just fine. I called all my local gun shops and they charge way more for the same exact thing....

#10 ·
It says how they are mean to there employees (who don't have to work there). How they don't want unions in there stores. Sexual descrimination. This is just a small part of what they say but personaly I don't give a damn what the articles say stuff is cheaper so I shop there.

#11 ·
Well thats how I look at it as well, cheaper gets my money. Just because Remington is being sold at walmart doent mean its a walmart brand with poor quality. Remington is Remington. Am I right or am I right?

I called a local gun shop today and asked them about buying at walmart and he went on and on about how the remingtons jam from walmart and is the lowest cheapest quality you can get, then I asked him what was different from the remington 870 he sold camparred to walmarts remingtons. I asked does his come customized or something to make it not jam? He was all choked up and did not have a answer. He did say his came with choke tubes.. ahhhh so does walmarts shotguns buddy. Its the same exact thing except for the price..

#12 ·
I'd get the model I WANTED 1st. then I'd shop it a bit to decide where to buy it.

moot point in CA though. I'm torn on walmart..get some stuff there, but at the same time voted down a new stroe in my zip..no way I want that traffic near me and i'm opposed to the new state run (I mean walmart) store.

click on the "Big Box Mart" movie for a sad but true laugh.
http://www.jibjab.com/Movies/MovieList.aspx

#13 ·
remington870 said:
Whats wrong with buying guns from wal-mart its cheaper for the same thing.
I got a real nice deal on a Mossberg 535 from Walmart, and it was cheaper than anywhere in town. True, Walmart drives out small businesses, but in the small town I used to live in, the 3 grocery stores in town were all owned by the same company (family) price gouged BIG TIME (like the cheapest loaf of bread was $1.25). And you couldn't find pop for cheaper than $6.99/case, ($5.99) on sale. You might say that is only a few bucks, but over a year, you can bet it all adds up, especially when you have more than 1 or 2 mouths to feed.

#16 ·
A lot of times local stores will match prices from Wal-Mart. On certain things. I always get my tires from our local guy but I call Wal-Mart to get the price and then I ask him if he will meet it, and he always does. I also brought a gun that way at our local gun store. But that's a little extra effort for me , but the satisfaction of not buying it from Wal-Mart exceeds.

#17 ·
Hell, why don't we discuss something a little less controversial than Wal-Mart...like abortion. :?

I shop where I want to regardless of the propaganda on the Internet. Hell, we all know that if it's on the Internet it must be true, right?

I'm willing to bet the same people who complain about companies like Wal-Mart pushing out the little guy shop the Internet all the time.

I don't hear anybody *****ing about Amazon putting retailers out of business, but you can bet yer *** they have and do...

#18 ·
Red-Leg said:
Hell, why don't we discuss something a little less controversial than Wal-Mart...like abortion. :?

I shop where I want to regardless of the propaganda on the Internet. Hell, we all know that if it's on the Internet it must be true, right?

I'm willing to bet the same people who complain about companies like Wal-Mart pushing out the little guy shop the Internet all the time.

I don't hear anybody *****ing about Amazon putting retailers out of business, but you can bet yer *** they have and do...
Oh, baby, did you nail it Red-leg!!! I wonder how many mom-and-pop bookstores went under when Amazon.com started selling books??

And do these same people show up at Mom-and-Pop's grocery store and demand that they pay their employees a "living wage" and provide health insurance for them...all 2 or 3 of them. I think not.

I buy most of my hunting stuff at Bass Pro. Since their prices are usually the same as Wal-mart on the same items, are they just as evil?

#19 ·
Yeah, nothing like a first class gun shop :roll: that also sells potato chips, TV's, motor oil, rap CD's, greeting cards, tooth paste, vacuum cleaners, tomato plants, and Tampons. :shock:

I prefer to shop where the guy behind the counter at least knows his muzzle from his butt. :p

#21 ·
Personally, I'm loyal to the best price. Whether it be on the WWW, Walwart or the local gun shop, that's who gets my business.

I refuse to pay 25-40% more for the same gun to "support" my local gun store. If he wants my support, he needs to become more competitive.

Also keep in mind, that Walmart really is only selling a limited selection compared to what a lot of shooters are looking for. If everyone wanted a Reminton 870 Express and/or a Sam Walton 1100, then Walmart would be a problem. ;)

#22 ·
ShootingStar said:
I prefer to shop where the guy behind the counter at least knows his muzzle from his butt. :p
The problem is that for many out there this place simply doesn't exist, particularly for the new shooter. Even in a fairly large city, I can count the number of shops on one had that aren't staffed by rude @$$holes. They may know one end of the gun from the other but if you aren't up to "their standards", you're treated like an annoying piece of $hit.

The true service oriented shops are extremely hard to find and you know what? Wal-Mart hasn't hurt them. You wanna know why? Because once that high school kid gets that Remington from Wal-Mart he's not going to be able to get much more from them in the way of accessories or ammunition. For that, he'll have to go to the Internet, the @$$hole at the closest "gun shop", or spend the time and money hitting dozens of shops in the area to find the one or two that may be worth giving your money to.

In this industry, I'm betting that if more shops weren't owned and staffed by jacka$$es Wal-Mart wouldn't sell nearly as many guns.

#23 ·
I have to go with the cannon-cocker on this one. I've had the same experience. Gun shop owners must all have done apprenticeships in autoparts stores or the Post Office. Good hunting and good luck.

#24 ·
Less than helpful gunshop owners/employees are a recurrent theme on all of the gun related boards I frequent. I have to agree that in my experience I find poor-to-downright-rude customer service to be the norm. Why?

I think that in this day and age more shops are run by "gun people" than "business people". A guy looking for a good small business to get into will pass over the retail firearms industry pretty quick once he sees average profit margins, the potential legal hassles, and the ever present Federal oversight of his potential business. That leaves the "gun guys" to own and run the shops.

While many of my closest friends are gun people, most of them are not customer service oriented to begin with, let alone after a few years of dealing with a very picky, opinionated and often mis-informed buying public. Every customer wants it now, wants it cheaper and wants his nose wiped and hand held as well. Add to that the he wants a discount for everything he buys from the first purchase forward.

Poor Mr. gun-guy/shop owner did not expect this. He expected all the other gun guys to come over, ogle his great taste in inventory and beat his doors down to buy it at full MSRP. So when the one millionth tire kicking, dry firing, muzzle sweeping, militia wanna-be tells him he can "Get it cheaper at Wal-Mart", he shuts down inside. It ain't what he bargained for and he ain't having fun anymore and he's tired of dealing with all the ninnies that grace his doorway. He doesn't see he created the problem, or ignored some of the most basic tenents of small retail business/customer service.

I'm not saying it's right, in fact it's a disservice to the gun crowd in general. Having been in a small business before - for the wrong reasons, this is what I think is behind a lot of the poor service we see at gun shops.

#26 ·
Why buy at Walmart??

Just picked-up a Winchester Model 70 Black Shadow .30-06 with cheap scope for $135.00 on clearance. Seems to be a no-brainer there.

Walmart also has no-charge lay-a-way if you're not inclined to whip out the plastic.

And the A-holes at the local shop couldn't cut it at Walmart---that's how bad they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.