Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a chance at one and would appreciate any pros and cons. it fits. i shoot it well at clays; however, i've heard 390s have some inherent weak spots-something maybe about the link- having had an early one(a390) i remember the trigger group being nearly impossible to remove; that and a some what sloppy trigger. i will appreciate any comment from shooters of this gun as i'm hoping to find another durable "family" shotgun. thank you rjk

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have had the 390 (Walmart version) for several years. I think it is a real bargin. It has never failed me

I'm guessing Mr Wakeman's not too happy with Walmart and buying everything from China. But who is? I'm in manufacturing and I see a constant desire by upper management to move production to other countries to increase the bottom line. Oh well....back to guns. I don't think you could go wrong with the Beretta.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's all pro.

I've had mine for several years now. NO problems at all.....this is with infrequent cleaning. Shoots anything I can put in it with no problems. I do normally use 3 dram equiv & 1 1/8oz loads.

Light in recoil. No problems removing the trigger group. While the trigger isn't up to the par of my Accutrigger Savage rifle or my Volquartsen triggered Rugers it sure isn't what I would describe as sloppy in any way.

Would I buy another?? Damn straight Skippy!! In a heartbeat.

My buddy has one also with the same lack of complaints. He got his because his spanish made (yeah, yeah, I know) OU kept misfiring on him & was making me go nuts shooting with him. I finally had enough one day & just stopped at WallyWorld & asked if they had a 390 in stock & then told them to ring it up 'cause he's buying it! Then I had to explain it to his wife..... :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got one at my local Walmart a few months ago. This is the best shotgun I've owned for the money. I used it for trapp right after I got it. Also has accounted for some pheasant. I can't wait till spring turkey season. I don't buy much at all at Wally World but this was an awsome buy.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I just got mine last week and only have 100 rounds through it.

I have slightly modified mine and put a Pre-Fit Limbsaver Recoil Pad (model 10702) on it to extend the Length of Pull and soften up the shoulder impact. It helped a lot.

I also replaced the metal front bead with a TruGlo neon site - i saved the old bead though, just in case I end up changing my mind.

A couple things I noticed right in the first 100 rounds - it cycles AMAZINGLY fast. I slammed off 3 rounds in around 1 second and it didnt even blink. The recoil is very soft - it felt like a 28 gauge over/under - more like a firm nudge in the shoulder.

It's an amazing gun and I would recommend it to anybody.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
It's a very good model at a very good price. They work well for all around use and are well made and reliable. They have good features like shims and an automatc magazine cutoff. They do only have a plastic butt plate instead of a recoil pad. One can be added later one though.

·
Registered
932 Posts
flounderdpo said:
i own one and shoot alot of clays with it. I constantly trumpet it as the best value out there. shoots all loads dosent misfire ever and you get beretta quality mobile chokes etc. i love the gun.
one qualification of this statement - it doesn't shoot 3.5 inch loads. (right? Or did I get an even BETTER value than I originally thought?)

·
Registered
60 Posts
no it does not shoot 3.5s sorry. I was referring to lighter target and cheaper promo loads. i dont have any need for the 3.5s myself so that was not a consideration in my choice of guns. but like i said its a great value in my book. just ask my buddies who are clearing jams and light strikes while i am still shooting :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
??? Are you talking about the connecting rod from the bolt to the recoil spring cup?

Sooner or later it's gonna break....just like a similar part in any other firearm will. They are readily available and not very expensive. IIRC there have been a few reports here of people finding one cracked on one side & the gun still running just fine. Also, eventually the hammer struts will break. Again, to be expected of any firearm at some point in time.

Spare parts kits are readily available and the parts are easily replaced in the field.

I'm not gonna worry about it. When it does happen I'm gonna replace the parts and marvel at how long my fine shotgun performed before I had to finally replace a part.

·
Registered
28,161 Posts
wrj said:
I have had the 390 (Walmart version) for several years. I think it is a real bargin. It has never failed me

I'm guessing Mr Wakeman's not too happy with Walmart and buying everything from China. But who is? I'm in manufacturing and I see a constant desire by upper management to move production to other countries to increase the bottom line. Oh well....back to guns. I don't think you could go wrong with the Beretta.
I've not said anything bad about the 390; I can't-- I still have three of them.

Some years back, when Beretta discontinued the 390 in favor of the 391, a lot of people were a bit disappointed-- including myself. The 390 is superior to the 391 in several ways, although the finished 391 today is a fine gun.

Beretta denied the existece of the "WW" guns, said it was all a mistake... they were bargains then, going for far less than dealer cost on the least expensive 390 models at the time. Beretta pro shops were not happy.

The 390 was and is a fine gun, good enough to come back as the 3901 recently. The 390 is less hassle than the 391, and the 302 / 303 / 304 series that preceded them was simpler yet.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have 2 gauge versions and 1 20 gauge version. The 12 gauge is the best gun I got. The trigger group came out with no problem. However, the 20 gauge trigger group will not come out unless I beat it with a rubber hammer. I believe I'm going to send it to Beretta because it makes cleaning about impossible. I have to beat it in as well.

If the gun clerk will let, I'd take out the trigger group before I left the store with it.

JED

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
jed1894 said:
If the gun clerk will let, I'd take out the trigger group before I left the store with it.
The trouble with that is, you will end up rejecting every 391 in the warehouse, because they are all hard to get out the first time.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Seamus O'Caiside said:
jed1894 said:
The trouble with that is, you will end up rejecting every 391 in the warehouse, because they are all hard to get out the first time.
"Hard to get out" is understatement. Beating one out and then back in with a hammer is crazy (20 gauge)! After we finally got it out and cleaned it (after we beat it back in), I tried to take it out again to show my friends (Benelli owners) how it just needed a little work. I was embarrassed again: I had to beat it out again even though it was oiled. However, my 12 gauge trigger came out with no problem. It took three (3) of us working on this thing about 30 minutes to get the trigger group out. I've clean my 12 gauge dozens of times, so I know how to take it apart....unless the 20 gauge is designed differently.

I plan to buy one as a gift for X-mas, but I will remove the trigger group at the store or I will not buy it.

JEd

JED

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.