Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel like an idiot for asking but I have to...

Don't flame me too hard.

How the heck do I clean this thing properly? I'm the first since my grandpa to own a shotgun other than an 870 Wingmaster my dad got in trade for a .357. I never got a gun cleaning lesson from my old man and a lot of the terminology and pictures in the manual are deceiving and don't really help me much.

I (over) oiled it when I first put it together (I can tell because there is oil seeping out onto the forearm and from a tiny hole on the back of the receiver.

I want to take it apart and give it a good thorough and educated cleaning but I lack basic knowledge.

How "apart" should I take it?

How does one take it apart to that extent? (whatever it be)

I read about some 0000 Steel Wool and a wooden dowel for polishing the inside of the receiver - would somebody clarify that process and how necessary it is?

Basically, I need "A complete idiot's guide to cleaning a Beretta 390"

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
The "sticky" on disassembly may help you, even though it addresses the 391. The 390 and 391 are very similar, the biggest differences being in the gas valve.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=101242

I believe what you heard about steel wool and a dowel was talking about cleaning or polishing the bore and/or chamber, not the receiver. If there are deposits of lead and/or plastic in the bore, a little 0000 steel wool wrapped around a brass cleaning brush will help remove it, especially if you chuck the rod in a drill. Depending on what kind of ammo you use, you might not need to do that.

For routine cleaning, you need to remove the barrel, bolt, and trigger group.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts