Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I do? I will be living on campus, and all college prohibit weapons in the dorms. Should I try to get an exception (like that will work), is there some way people get their guns safely stored on campus? Its not like im gonna bring my AR-15 or a glock or anything, I just want to be able to take my beretta 391 with me. Would you trust someone at the trap club to hold your shotgun for you?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found that one college I am considering (Grand Valley State University) has a "shooting club", but all they do is competition-level .22LR shooting. Im not really interested in this, but it means that they have means of securing firearms. This will definatly be a factor in my college decision. If I cant take my shotgun with me, I will be waiting to start ATA until after I graduate I suppose, I cant afford to drive all the way home each weekend AND pay for registered targets.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
Bozman Montna has a fabulous school, and it is a great college town with snowboarding and skiing right out your back door.

I believe they have gun rooms in the dorms for cleaning and storing in Montana state colleges...enlightened people.

You will fall in love with Montana...what a fabulous place.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RemingtonII said:
Bozman Montna has a fabulous school, and it is a great college town with snowboarding and skiing right out your back door.

I believe they have gun rooms in the dorms for cleaning and storing in Montana state colleges...enlightened people.

You will fall in love with Montana...what a fabulous place.
WOW!! That is a awesome deal. I need to talk to these Michigan colleges about that.

EDIT: I suppose I could always just keep the Beretta broken down in the case, and take it to and from the range in a duffle bag. Keep it well secured in my room, and hope that no one ever sees the case.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
michigan tech has lockers in the basement of the dorms. to get your gun out you have to have an RA building manager there because it works on a 2 key system. kinda like a bank safety deposit box. are you going to have a vechile? i assume so because you will need to drive to the range. go buy a nice hardcase with a lock and leave it in your vechile. i see no probs with this either because the gun is in a case, locked and not in the dorms. I dont know how this will be on the stock if it is wood in the winter depending where you go. up at michigan tech winters get very cold weeks of sub-zero weather.

skog
 

· Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
skog said:
michigan tech has lockers in the basement of the dorms. to get your gun out you have to have an RA building manager there because it works on a 2 key system. kinda like a bank safety deposit box. are you going to have a vechile? i assume so because you will need to drive to the range. go buy a nice hardcase with a lock and leave it in your vechile. i see no probs with this either because the gun is in a case, locked and not in the dorms. I dont know how this will be on the stock if it is wood in the winter depending where you go. up at michigan tech winters get very cold weeks of sub-zero weather.

skog
Tech has the right idea too. I like the idea of keeping it secured in my car. I have a Jeep Cherokee, it has a nifty compartment under the back seat, I could keep it in its case down there. I will be in the mid-southern section of Michigan, not extremly bad winters, and I will be using the standard stock on my shotgun, so I dont think it would see much damage.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
20,506 Posts
What about storing it in the trunk of your car? Keep it very well lubricated with a rust protectant and keep it covered with an old blanket in case someone happens to look inside the trunk while you have it open for some reason. As far as I know, this would not be breaking any law. It would simply be a violation of the University's policy. If caught, explain that you are a target shooter and didn't want to take the gun to your room where it might be stolen.

Edited to add:

Darn, I must be a slow typer or a slow thinker because from the time I read the last post until I got my brief message posted, about 5 additional messages came in. Sorry if I repeated anything that had already been said. :?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think im gonna go for storing it in my vehicle. As far as I know, the college cant search your vehicle without notice, under which circumstances I can take a run and stash the gun at a smith or a club or something. I dont see any theft risk in a vehicle, especially if no one will know its there.
I guess I will have to make different arrangments for shells, or reload a helluva lot ahead of time. I love my reloads, and I would hate to have to give them up during the school year. Dont suppose reloading is approved in dorms, although it isnt specifically listed as prohibited. I have about 600 hulls, so maybe I can work something out with my younger brother to load my shells for me.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
central, western, ferris?? how far do you live from home? if it is an option load up a fair amount at home bring them back. in several weeks run home and repeat. you couldl also leave your gun at home when the weather gets cold so you would have to worry about a cracked stock and in the spring when most clubs start shooting again just go home and get it. i would also look into if it is stolen or damaged in an accident if it would be covered under you auto insurance. as far as reloading in the dorms i see a major problem with bring an explosive (gun powder and primers) into the dorms. it wouldnt be to hard so somebody to get the wrong idea real fast about the intentions of a jug of gun powder laying around. you say "will be living on campus" what semester are you planning on moving in. college has alreayd started. most places are in the 5 or 6 week. if you are talking next fall then you should have plenty of time to figure this out and look into getting arangements made. hope it all works out.

skog
 

· Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
skog said:
central, western, ferris?? how far do you live from home? if it is an option load up a fair amount at home bring them back. in several weeks run home and repeat. you couldl also leave your gun at home when the weather gets cold so you would have to worry about a cracked stock and in the spring when most clubs start shooting again just go home and get it. i would also look into if it is stolen or damaged in an accident if it would be covered under you auto insurance. as far as reloading in the dorms i see a major problem with bring an explosive (gun powder and primers) into the dorms. it wouldnt be to hard so somebody to get the wrong idea real fast about the intentions of a jug of gun powder laying around. you say "will be living on campus" what semester are you planning on moving in. college has alreayd started. most places are in the 5 or 6 week. if you are talking next fall then you should have plenty of time to figure this out and look into getting arangements made. hope it all works out.

skog
Those are 3 of the colleges I am considering, as well as GVSU, with GVSU being the most attractive at the moment. I will not be moving in until Fall 2004, so I have time to figure it out. I will be visiting colleges very soon, and I can check and see if any of these colleges would be willing to provide lockup for my baby.
 
G

·
Definetly check with the Campus PD. When I went to Chef school in NY they kept the students guns locked in a cabinet in their office. They were open 24 hrs, so if you were up early to go hunting there was always someone who could give you your gun.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,016 Posts
Please use caution on considering storing any firearm in a vehicle. Vehicles are targeted by many a criminal looking for anything of value to sell or trade for drugs. I've been in law enforcement for 14 years (Greensboro, NC) and by far the most reported crime in most jurisdictions, and especially college campuses, is vehicle break-ins. We have UNC-Greensboro, NC A&T State University, Guilford College, Greensboro College, and Bennett College. If you look at a Greensboro crime map for larceny from auto, the concentration of dots (crime) are around colleges and apartment complexes.

Ask about the crime statistics for the campus you are considering AND for the local surrounding jurisdiction. You'll probably tell a buddy what you're doing and he'll tell a buddy and before you know it more folks than you'd care to think about know exactly where you keep your shotgun.

My .02. But it's the best .02 you'll get if your shotgun stays with you and isn't stolen.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
I agree with Equismith, do not store your gun in the car. Also I would advise against storing it in your dorm room if it is against the rules. It would be a shame to get kicked out for having a gun on campus and end up in a messy legal battle. You might just check out the local gun club and see if they can store it for you. Many clubs that rent guns have a vault to store them and would most likely work with you to store your gun off campus. Also, once your there you might hook up with a group of folks to shoot and hunt with, one of which could keep your gun for you off campus. That way they could bring your gun to you at the club when you shoot or when you meet to go hunting.

Don't store it in the car, don't sneek it on to campus. Both of these could only lead to losing your gun and possible legal problems.

APEXDUCK
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top