Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a kid shooting. Thats right, take a kid shooting. Over the years that I've been involved with youth and shooting, just seeing the smiles on their faces made me feel good, just thinking about all those smiles again makes me feel good. Do yourself a favor, buy a box of 22's or shells and take a kid shooting. Experience the smile, the good feeling will follow. Any volunteer's? Keith

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have done that. My next door neighbor is 14 and he's never hunted before. His parents do not hunt, but he shows keen interest, plus he has been through the safety course.
I dragged him along on opening day of dove season, he used my Win. 1300 and shells, brought down 4 doves. He broke bread and doves with us..... Now.... I can't get rid of him. 8).
The first week he went with me every morn and nite. I taught him how to clean doves and guns. Now... His mom is gonna make sure I sell my win. 1300 to her, for him to use. Smart kid, fun to be around and teach. Like a sponge.
I have already promised him pheasant, turkey, quail, chukkar, and pig hunts.... :shock: :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what it's all about Cordite. That young man will remember you the rest of his life. Lasting memorys and "Molding young minds". A few years back I had tought this shotgun & rifle class for the Boy Scouts. We had gone to a doctors skeet range to quantify for their shotgun Merit Badge, everyone had a great time and quantifed for their badge. After the quantification we had a fun shoot on the doctor's 5-stand, this doctor pulled out a hundred dollar bill and said if any Boy Scout could break this pair, it was his. Everyone shot and shot, then one Boy Scout broke that pair and was awarded the $100. Everyone had a blast and we all left with a lot of memory's. I'll bet that one Boy Scout will never forget that day. Keith

·
Registered
187 Posts
Agreed! 8)

In addition to watching my 11 y.o. son earn his firearm safety certificate and go on to shooting his very own, new 20 Ga. with me in clays, we also introduced three additional new youth shooters to competition shooting this Summer as well - My Nephew - 17, his good friend - 17, and my girlfriends son - 11.

The experience I enjoyed most was taking a short vacation over the Labor Day weekend with all four of the above youth shooters, as well as my older brother whom is a seasoned veteran shooter, to our family cabin. One afternoon we all went out to the municipal shooting range and spent a good 4+ hours with everybody participating, both in shotgun clays and in .22 pistol sharpshooting.

Man, my brother and I had SO MUCH FUN! I imagine the youngsters might have had a little of fun too... :wink: I'd be lucky if I shot more than 30 rounds with the .22 and 15 rounds with the shotguns, but somehow we all went through HOARDS of ammunition that afternoon - at least a brick in the .22 and God knows how many shells... :lol: Between instructing, observing, loading clays into the thrower or throwing 'em by hand with a wand, trying three different styles of shotguns, plinking the auto-reseting target with the .22, we ALL had a wonderful experience!

We had one apprehensive one that took a while to feel comfortable with the 20 Ga., but after he saw just how much FUN all the other guys were having, he gave it a try and never looked back again! :lol:

Number one rule & lesson before the fun began - SAFETY!

We had a BLAST! :roll:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Here's a wrinkle for ya-- take a GIRL shooting and fishing! I take my niece Kiley--12 years old. We've gone over gun safety, shot clays (she's much quicker to learn than I ever was), and gone fishing. I also took her for a half-day pheasant hunt at the private preserve I sometimes use. Wow, what a kick! Seeing her down that first pheasant was something I'll never forget! We cleaned our own birds, took 'em home, and cooked a feast for the whole family. Kiley did most of the actual work on the cooking while the 'ol woodsman supervised, sipped a little of the white man's firewater, and drowsed off in front of the fire . . .

Fishing, I've had her hooked up with porgies, bluefish, winter flounder, fluke, tautog, black sea bass, and one weakfish that got away. No stripers as yet, but she has an eye out! This year we are going to do the new junior hunter training day that Connecticut has instituted, and I'm going to see if I can get her to do in a duck or two.

It's all highly reccommended--a cure for the blues that never fails! Kiley has her first boyfriend, a kid who's been indoctrinated as an anti-hunter by his parents. I tried telling her that no doubt they have their honest reasons. But the other day as she was shooting clays with me, she said, "he'll change his mind, Uncle Jeff, or he'll be looking for a new girfriend." I had to laugh. Hunting is powerful medicine!

Jeff23

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right Jeff! I taught a Jaycee BB course & shooting team several years ago, I had a few girls in the class. I told the little boys to look at these girls, then I said they are going to out shoot you. Some of the little boys bowed out their chest and said "no way a girl can out shoot us". I told them oh yes they were, I went on and explained that these girls knew nothing about shooting and BB guns, that they would listen to me and learn everything being taught. I told the boys, what little bit that they did know was probably wrong and I would have to correct their bad shooting habits. Those girls gave the boys a good run on the written test and the shooting score. Girls are eazy to teach and coach. I still get a good chuckle out with those boys saying "no way a girl can out shoot us". Keith

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I agree that the girls often do better because they actually listen when the boys ussually fool around and wounder why they did worse.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yes, I have come to believe there are several factors. One is that they have few or no bad habits where guns are concerned. (Ask ANY military rifle instructor and he or she will tell you that the best pupil is one who's never so much as touched a piece). Another is that, as Clayshooter suggests, they do indeed stay in the moment and listen--at least my niece does so. And a third is that they have better hand-eye coordination than most boys their age--at least this has been my experience. Kiley, my neice, is a gymnast and a basketball player. She has no doubt that with concentration she can master a physical skill.

All of this adds up to one damn fine looking swing with a light shotgun. It took me a couple of years to be able to do what she routinely does now. But there--I am a proud uncle and may be exaggerating!

Jeff23

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like teaching someone who has little or no knowledge of firearms and shooting. I started to type I'd rather teach someone who has little or no knowledge of firearms or shooting, but did'nt because I like teaching and want everyone to handle a firearm safefully & have good shooting skills. Teaching someone with little or no knowledge sure makes my job as a instructor eazy. What makes for a hard class to teach is with husband and wife, the husband sometimes will tell his wife don't do it this way or thats wrong... then I have to debate/correct him. Teaching them when they are young, is molding minds for the future! Thats why I have the MOTTO in my signature. Keith

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I had that good feeling again...I had the Boy Scouts out at the range yesterday for a day of fun. They were shooting 22 rifles and shotguns. Lots of ammo shot up and the best part were the boys smiles! One of the things I noticed when they got their firearms from the vehicle's, they were either cased or had some sort of lock on them. I knew they paid attention with the classroom part. Those young men are on their way to being the next generation of responsible firearm owners. I'll be proud to share a shooting bench with them anytime! Keith

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I do it...

I take my nephew and next year I am taking the son of a friend that wants to learn to hunt waterfowl...His Dad hunts deer but has no ambition to hunt birds and the kid has an enthusiasm that is infectious...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.