Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to load up some 20 *****, going to get some Remington STS hulls to load.... Want a light load for trap & quail...
What is the best Primers?____
What is the best Powder?____
What is the best Wad?____
Thanks in advance..
Bob

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Use the components that are locally available. That way it will be easy to keep them in stock. Primers from Federal, Winchester, or Remington are all good. I use Alliant Unique, Herco, and Hodgdon Universal Clays, in that order, based on price. For wads, I use the Duster and Claybuster clones of the Winchester AA wads for 7/8 oz, Remington SP20 for 1 oz loads. Find a load that you can produce with local components and enjoy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
PRIMER: CCI 209
POWDER: Alliant Green Dot
WAD: WAA20
SHOT: 7 1/2 7/8 ounce
I found these to be a great combo for dove, quail, and clays

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I can get Green Dot at a local gun shop...
Has anyone tried the new Hevi-Shot in light loads??
Bob

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Recommended loads would depend on what you intend to use them for...

Skeet: 14.0 gr Hodgdon Int'l Clays, Win 209 primer, Win AA20 wad, 7/8 oz #8-1/2 shot

Heavy loads: 18.0 gr Hodgdon Longshot, win 209 primer, Win AA20F1 wad, 1 oz shot

These are just the ones I use... everybody has their own pet loads. Just follow the reloading manuals put out by the powder companies, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I second WWB's recommended load for skeet. Works well and is a cost effective load. I personally find a one once load in a 20ga starts to get to hot and although not bad on the recoil does product more muzzle jump and I do not find myself hitting any more targets with a 1 oz load over a 7/8 oz load. As for heavy shot , unless your after waterfowl and have to shoot nontoxic shot, it's kind a pricey.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,
Just repaid my yearly dues at the gun range ($50 a year)...
My daughter wants to out shoot me on some clays... we will see what happens.!!... May try to pick up some 12 ga & 20 ga Remington STS hulls while I am there... Ebay sells them for over 5 cents apiece....
Bob

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you are shooting a tube gun look for another powder. I know
of more than one that has cracked a chamber shooting green dot. It's pressure is about like unique but it has a sledgehammer
effect. (A steeper pressure curve.)

Shoot Strights.

P.S. I load universal and longshot for 7/8 oz. skeet loads, they work very well.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I use Scott Solo 1250, or will untill my last still full 8# jug is used up. Then it will likley be Universal or Herco. I like the Remington wad and next the AA or CB clone. Normaly just load 7/8 oz loads.

BP

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My experience shows the STS to be the better hull. Good call. If you stick with Hodgdon your whole life and load nothing else you wouldn't go wrong.

I try to stick with the AA20 wad - mostly because of it's availability. Also, it's performance is a 'known value' to me, moreso than the others available out there.

7/8 seems to be the ideal payload, though 3/4ths is fine if you're looking for a little more economy.

G

·
Here is my pet 20 skeet load:

Case: Win AA
Powder: Hodgdon Universal Clays
Primer: Rem STS 209
Wad: Rem RXP 20

I load 14.5 grains of Universal Clays. Very soft and crushes targets when I do my part. I have shot this load now for 2 years (about 25,000 rounds) through my Briley tubed gun with not a single problem. Universal is very clean as well.

Speed? My guess is around 1180 fps. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.