Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting an o/u 12 3" for hunting this year. I have other guns to hunt with but having gotten into skeet, well.................

Now that said, what choices do I have? I wan to stay away from the "Turkish" guns and the Russian ones too. 3" and chokes are a must.

I know the Brownings are time tested and have gotten familiar with some but not all. Berettas are still new to me.

Surely there is the "perfect" gun I am look for. I love my GTi but it is 2 3/4".

Suggestions or offers?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Drake Outfitters said:
I am looking at getting an o/u 12 3" for hunting this year. I have other guns to hunt with but having gotten into skeet, well.................

Now that said, what choices do I have? I wan to stay away from the "Turkish" guns and the Russian ones too. 3" and chokes are a must.

I know the Brownings are time tested and have gotten familiar with some but not all. Berettas are still new to me.

Surely there is the "perfect" gun I am look for. I love my GTi but it is 2 3/4".

Suggestions or offers?
Have you handled a CZ Redhead? Not your typical Turkish gun in my opinion. Have you felt the trigger on a recent Browning (525 or Cynergy)? What did you think? If I were looking for a "cheap" field gun, I would look at SKB 505 or Weatherby Orion for under $1000. I think the SKB has chromed barrels and the Weatherby may not.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have also looked for a SKB 505 and all of the prices were "stupid". I guess I am cheap but I know what guns sell for and this guy will not buy a used gun for 100% retail price.

Who makes the CZ?

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
The Browning Sporting Clays edition has a 3" chamber. they were made in both Lightning and Pistol grip models both high and low rib designs in 28, 30, and maybe even 32" long barrels. That would be very similar to your GTI! Some Berettas have 3" chambers and some don't!

BP

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Burnt Powder said:
The Browning Sporting Clays edition has a 3" chamber. they were made in both Lightning and Pistol grip models both high and low rib designs in 28, 30, and maybe even 32" long barrels. That would be very similar to your GTI! Some Berettas have 3" chambers and some don't!

BP
Which sporting clays one? I have seen several. Is there a model or number? Thanks.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
It is the blue smooth sided one with the gold script lettering on it. Mine was a Lightning Sporting Clays Edition, but they made one that wasn't a Lightning too. Nice shotguns, NOT light either!

BP

·
Registered
243 Posts
You are in luck...since you live in Alabama, there are three Academy stores in your state. They are the exclusive dealer for the Yildiz. It is an exceptional O/U for $386. Check them out. I own two of them and like them better for hunting than I did my Citori and 686 Beretta.
Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Special Sporting had a squared-off pistol grip and had 2¾in chambers. While the Lightning Sporting had a rounded end on the pistol grip and 3in chambers.

Maybe some Browning owners would know more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check out the Winchester Select Field (and Extreme Elegance/Traditional Elegance).

These are 3" guns made by FN in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. I like mine but I'm no expert. It shoulders well and goes bang. My ejectors were a little tight at first but have loosened up quite nicely.

I haven't heard anything bad about these since they fixed the barrel weight on the previous model "Supreme".

·
Registered
65 Posts
My PERFECT hunting o/u is a Winchester 101 with 28" barrels, Winchokes, and 3" chambers. The barrels are not too short, not too long. With the Winchokes you can shoot skeet and improved for quail, modified and full for ducks and dove, and full and extra full for geese and turkey.

Plus - its great for sporting clays and an occasional round of skeet or trap. Not to mention that its a fantastic gun and extremely well made.

FWIW

Hubcap

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am ordering the winchester select from wal-mart it cost 1165.72 +tax i hate to get it from them but if i can save almost 200.00 $ i need to do it ........check it out

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am still looking. I have kind of scaled my search back. I believe I want a Citori, rough shape, but good mechanically. I will have it camoed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts