Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 20 gauge in a recent moment of weakness. Wards Western Field SB60A. I have never seen an extended forend on any Stevens 520/620 pumps but this one looks like it would have been original. Look at the triangular checkering pattern like other Stevens forends. It was the butt stock that sold me on it though! Did words make higher grade guns like this as factory original? Could this be someone's 50s skeet gun?

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Cool. I'd pick that up too if it appeared at my local pawn shop.

Good example of why third party catalogs aren't a reliable resource. Drew's 1948 Stoeger reference was listing a gun that hadn't been offered for a couple of years. The Stevens No. 620-CS only appeared in three J. Stevens Arms Co. catalogs -- 1941, 1942 and 1946.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thanks! I guess I better keep the cutts on it if it's factory! Is it most likely a pre-WWII gun? Any way to tell? Is a replacement grip cap a findable part? Any hints?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Jfkid,
Stevens did make Deluxe versions of the Model 620 for Sears, Montgomery Wards and Spiegel department stores. They had very nice wood, pistol grip caps and sometimes recoil pads and ivory (colored) front sight beads.

Your shotgun is a Model 620A made between 1940-1954. Around 40k were made between 1940-1948 (including WWII military production). After 1948 Stevens stopped serializing these shotguns and most do not have the Savage/Stevens barrel date codes. If your shotgun has a serial I can give an approximate year, if not it's post-1948.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can find 9356 on the front of the trigger guard housing. Is that a serial number?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Jfkid,

Yes, that's the serial number, it should also be in the action arm slot of the barrel lugs and stamped into the buttstock on the surface facing the rear of the receiver. Made around 1941.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts