Shotgun Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wouldn't do me a bit of good - I'm hopeless at judging distance. 1 oz of 8s, #2 choke (Fabarm) on the short course, #4 on the regular. It doesn't matter if it's not ideal for the longest targets; I can't see them anyway. :cool:

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
Rod Gates of Jordan has a nice sporting clays range, that every fall, or maybe when Rod feels like having friends over, he opens up.

Rod only has one rule to shoot at his range for score, although anybody there is welcome to shoot.

But for scores to count in the Black Powder Association yearly total, the only modern guns you can really use are either any old side by side or a Winchester Model 97 with an exposed hammer.

Rod Gates always shoots an old LC Smith he’s choked what he calls a tight improved cylinder in both barrels.

Its choked 12/3 thousands of an inch constriction, same as a jillion old fixed choke Modified Winchesters were.

I keep either a gun Gates choked for me that or an old fixed choke Modified Winchester in my trunk or behind the seat in my pickup every time I ramble down past Jordan.

Rod Gates may not always win on his sporting clays course, but he’s the man to beat.

I’m curious as to what that choke selection gadget says is the most flexible choke from ten yards to forty yards.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Something like the best combination rotor tiller and bass boat-- it doesn't exist.
One would need to consider the width of the roto-tiller tines, the hp of the bass boat and the depth of the water, as a start.....like choke in a scattergun's barrel, it is never all about one factor in any equation.

Unless, I reckon, someone is promoting a roto-tiller salesman.

·
Banned
30,821 Posts
Something like the best combination rotor tiller and bass boat-- it doesn't exist.
Good to know, thanks Randy.

The world needs a choke selector like that when choke selection, is an option.

I’ve read how you’ve found Polychokes weighed in the balance and found wanting. Good article.

If A.C. Jones is right, then why do Polychokes shoot ragged patterns?

It seems to me that Stan Baker better explains the phenomenon.

Reactions: Ravenanme

·
Registered
26 Posts
So just because I’m curious, does the choke selector know how every choke, gun, shell patterns? Because I’ve heard that one manufacturers choke may pattern tighter or looser depending on the shell used? The pic shows shot size and weight but what about speed?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I like ragged patterns as they kill just as good for all hunting purposes !
Stan Bakers Big Bore barrels , weren't any better than a tight-sealing wad through a Polychoke !
With Steel shot , I can say , inside the decoys there's no problem killing , if you can shoot straight ?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
So just because I’m curious, does the choke selector know how every choke, gun, shell patterns? Because I’ve heard that one manufacturers choke may pattern tighter or looser depending on the shell used? The pic shows shot size and weight but what about speed?

Bob Brister proved that , not all guns or chokes shoot the same and Marketing is 99% BS !

·
Registered
28,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A "Modified Pattern" is a "Modified Pattern" no matter what shotgun throws it. Many of us have our favorite brands of things for various reasons, but a "Modified Choke" is a "Modified Choke" regardless. If it throws 60% in a 30 inch circle at 40 yds, that is a Modified Choke. It doesn't matter what the choke is marked, if it says "Full" but throws a modified pattern it is a modified choke, as choke is pattern percentage based.

Would you rather have 60% of 3/4 oz., 1 oz., or 1-1/4 oz. working for you? It comes down to pellets in the ring. Referring to lead loads, antimony is less dense than lead, so you have more pellets on target with a 6% antimony load (STS) than a 2% antimony load (Gun Clubs) even though the payload weight is the same. .

If your choke marked "Modified" (sea level, promo loads) throws 70% at 40 yds, that's Full choke performance. It will often do that (or better) at 5000 ft. elevation with 6% antimony shot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Randy, nice to meet you!
I know the difference in pattern percentages, but unless you take the time to pattern every choke load combo that a person owns the card is useless. Imho

·
Registered
28,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bruce Buck explained it:

Choke selection really depends on target presentation and shot selection. Warren Johnson’s “Choke Chooser” covers EXACTLY what you are looking for. Warren has used computer modeling of real world data to come up with a little slip card arrangement which will tell you what the optimum choke is for 6 different shot loads, 3 different target sizes, 6 target ranges (20 to 45 yards) and 4 target orientations (edge-on, quarter turned-trap, half turned, face on).

It’s easy to use. Example: Let’s say you have a chandelle consisting of a half-turned standard at 35 yards. You want to know what the best choke is for your 32 gram (1-1/8 oz ) load of #8s. Just slide the marker on the card to “Standard half turned” and “1-1/8 x 8″ for the load. Then read the answer above the 35 yard slot. It tells you to use a modified choke and that this will give you a 25″ killing pattern. At 40 yards on the same bird, the optimal choke would be Full for a 25” killing pattern.

Warren has done all the calculations as to pellet energy and percentage possibilities of strikes too. He uses an 80% chance of a two pellet strike as his minimal number. This is the same as a 95% chance of a one pellet hit. Statistically, this is a good fringe number in the real world.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.