Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is that time of year again, the deer are moving!!!
Please watch out and dont let this happen to you.
this happened today here just outside of St.Louis. on the Illinois side of the river.

DEER CAUSED A DEADLY ACCIDENT ON I-55
A deer caused a deadly accident on Interstate 55 just north of Edwardsville. Illinois State police tell FOX 2 a southbound SUV hit the deer, crossed the median, and then slammed into a semi. The SUV burst into flames. One person died in the accident. Northbound I-55 just south of I-270 was closed for some time. Traffic was being diverted onto eastbound I-70 just ahead of the accident site.

http://www.ktvifox2.com/

Mike.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
A deer caused a fatal accident here a few days ago too. Car swerved to miss a deer, ran into ditch and came back across the road and hit another car head on, no injuries-but while waiting for the cops to arrive another car slammed into the wreckage and killed the driver.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
And why I've developed a fear of riding my motorcycle at night (which I used to prefer).

Within about a month period I ran over a foxhound, nearly hit a cow (fog), and then a deer...in all seriousness, I had a couple of nightmares about this and ain't got over it yet.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Tom, Anyone who rides can tell stories about how they looked death in the face. You got to love it or leave it. And if you leave it, you'll know if you love it. ...........................I gave up riding for the same reasons you mentioned and now there is a hole in my heart because of it. It's scary as hell when you think about it. But what's worse for me is living life like a big chicken. So I'm working on a new horse for the spring time. ........................................there's a long winding road that goes up the side of a bluff along the Mississippi where I used to live. The speed limit is 35 going up to the ridge. When you get to the top the speed limit goes to 55. There is a turn at that point which straightens out to a long country highway. A beautiful ride day or night, I prefer hot summer nights. 8) One time I was going up that road and in a pre-meditated motion, hit the throttle at the top as i was coming up and out of that last turn to the highway. At the instant I hit 55 60 or so there were 4 deer in the middle of the road. I had no choice but to hit them, it was that sudden. Well there was some kind of miracle that night because I went straight through all 4 of them. In fact, one of them turned to run as I was going through and actually clipped my back end as I went through them. They were all that close. You want to talk about heart attack? 2 weeks later I was going up that same road with my old room mate (in an x-girlfriend's car)and we hit the biggest doe I've ever laid eyes on. In the same spot. Hhhmm. :? ......................Then there was the time i hit a raccoon as big as a Rottweiler. The s.o.b. ran straight at me and got blood all over my leg and the side of my bike. Oh well **** happens right? Yeah until I was out with my woman on a ride and a tractor/trailer almost took us out. We were fine, but the kicker was when she was driving through town one day and came across a fresh accident. A guy taking his daughter for a ride jumped out into traffic and got squashed. She held the little girl until the ambulance showed up.That did it for us. She gave me hell for a long time after that to change my evil ways. So I did. :roll: And now I regret it. I've had the nightmares too Tom. I know what you're thinking. Like I said, Love it or leave it. you don't want to be riding around half-cocked or afraid of things that might happen. That's when you make mistakes. Take a break for a while and see how you feel. Sorry for all the wind but you really got me thinking again. Thanks man. :wink:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
While I was working I was driving the ambulance and I smacked a deer going apx. 65 miles an hour and I didn't even have the chance to slow down. I hit the deer with the drivers side of the front of the ambulance. It seemed like the deer floated in mid air beside the ambulance for the longest time. I guess I hit it hard enough to send it flying while we were going the smae spped the deer was. The deer went completly off to the oppisite side of the road and thankfully there weren't any cars coming from the other direction. Thankfully this happened as we were coming back from the hospital and we didn't have a patient in the ambulance. My partner nearly sh#t his pants though! :lol:

No damage was done to the ambulance, thankfully again it was a Ford! :D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My dad hit a horse in a 1976 Chevy 1-ton. Beat that. :D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Red Ryder, I know man. When we hit that doe it happened so fast nothing could have made any difference in the outcome. In a snap the deer was in front of us and it WAS like time stood still. The hood flew up and all I saw was the deer suspended in mid-air for a few seconds that seemed like 5 minutes. Must have been a good 18-20 feet up and went clear across the road. Really messed that Charger up good. I'd hate to see what a horse would do. :shock:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Dad was coming home late from working in the field all day, it was after dark and the horse was black. Said he saw four legs in the glow of the headlights going across the road. By the time he figured out what it was, it was too late. Did quite a bit of damage to the truck . . . this was in 1976, he had bought the truck three weeks prior for $8000. Damage was valued at $2000. :shock:

But before he could take the truck to fix it the next day, he had to patch the radiator and shovel the guts out of the bed.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
Ive hit a few deer with cars and trucks, but the worst animal to hit has to be a hog. They are low to the ground and HEAVY. I hit one on a foggy night with a 1949 Ford car. It knocked the entire front end off the car and I was only driving about 50mph.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
:shock: Yep, the world (as I knew it) has almost become unrecognizable in the past half century. This said in preface, I remember well the local yokels (my friends and relatives) all agreed that a deer was a fender crusher, but a [email protected] hog would send your vehicle airborne in an instant. Guess there aren't too many four-legged swine on the roads anymore, just the liberal, two-legged type...lol
///olde 8) pharte///

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.