Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Beretta Teknys with a factory oil finish and took it out shooting. We got a few drops of rain and somehow they left marks on the wood.

How can I get these stains off? I don't want to redo the finish, just get it back to how it was.

Many thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
Let it dry - may take a week. If the spots go away, check back in and see if anyone has a tip on adding a layer of more water resistant finish like Tru Oil or Minwax Wipe On Poly.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Gently rub some linseed oil or finish containing linseed on the stock with 0000 steel wool. Wipe it off and let it dry. The bad news is that if the finish water spots now, it will continue to do so. The good news is that is usually isn't much of a process to touch it up.
Dave

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I'm wondering if Beretta has different oil finishes on the Teknys. I've read that some posts about water spotting problems on the stock. On the other hand, I have shot in misting rain to rain rain with no problems.

I am glad to read about fixes in case my experience changes. I do dry the gun off when I put it in the car or other dry spot and do not put it in a case until thoroughly dry. Am I just lucky? Is water spotting a widespread problem on oiled finishes.

I have white spots on an oiled teak table. But it has always been caused by a combination of water and heat.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I doubt Beretta has different finishes, but they do have different batches of finish. It isn't uncommon for Italian oil finishes to spot. Many companies are likely getting their finish from the same supplier and that supplier is dependent on his suppliers for the quality of the basic ingredients. I've seen it happen on some $40,000 guns with just one trip in the rain. The permanent solution is to strip what is there and replace it.
Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Allow it to dry and then if the spots remain, I suggest getting some Arrow's Wood finish and applying it to the stock. Not only can you make repairs to all stocks using it, it will be almost completely water proof when you are done.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Do the linseed and steel wool trick. Let it dry for a couple days then wax it with furniture paste wax, Johnsons etc.

It sounds like they are using shellack as a sealer or grain filler. I can not remember getting water spots on any stock I oil finished.

IF it is real linseed, keep a little around. Mix some 50/50 with mineral spirits. Add a drop or two to the stock and work it in well. Do this as part of your regular cleaning routine. Beware repeated application of linseed will eventually darken the wood. You may like that, or not.

You can add a lump of bee's wax the 50/50 mix and warm the mix, over a non flame heat source, to dissolve the wax. You will get a pasty gob when it cools. This is called "slackum" and is another good maintance goop. It will help shed water better than plain oil.

I have to interject that if you hare huntng in the wet the only good solution is a plastic stock. Second best is a good varnish finish. De-oil it as best you can with solvent. Flood the stock inside and out with dilute spar varnish. Whipe the excess off and dry. Proceed to finish with an "in the wood" completely filled varnish finish. Ater that build a couple coats on the surface and rub out with automitive rubbing compound. Unless you give it a very close examination it will look like an oil finish.

You see, it is not so much what goop you use to finish a stock it is the technique you use. Linseed has a ledgend built up around it based on old timie lore. We have much better products today. IF you know your stuff you can do much better and still get the satin or flat finish. You do not need it to look like a bar top, or bowling pin, if you don't want to, with any finish. You can rub out a Weatherby and make it look nice if you are so inclined.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.