Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the Katadyn 'hiker'. It is a cartridge based pump filtering system. I like it, the build quality seems to be pretty good, and seems to be moderatly durable, i have yet to break it, but when i go hiking i am VERY careful with it. After all, its your only source for safe drinking water. so i package it in a very protected/cushioned area and pump it very slowly and gently make sure all the o ring ect are lubed up w/ the silicone based grease ect.

I THINK that the filter is good for about 250 gallons of drinking water. Myself and 2 other buddies went camping for 3 days and used it and for 3 people its good. If you were to hike w/ more than 4 people i would reccomend two, or 1 bigger unit. 2 would be better if one breaks.

Water flow out of it is good! it does not take 151235 pumps for a shot of water. I can fill up a beer can worth of filter water in probably 20 seconds or less (its been awhile)

Check out some info on what filter does what ect. I THINK i remember that this filter is good except in third world countries ect that people are bathing/deficating in the water. then you need a different filter or futher treatment.

THis filter produces water with virtually no 'off' or 'weird' taste. Basically it tastes like a no-name brand bottled water.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/EXT000 ... ter+filter

as i remember i bought it for a much cheaper price than advertised at this website at Sports Authority.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I've stated before that I have Muscular Dystrophy. The pump thing isn't my best option. What about the water bottle type? Anybody check those out?

·
Registered
287 Posts
i was looking at those too, they are generally cheaper, and from what i remember do not filter as good. I'm sure there is some company that makes the water bottle type that filters as good as the pump ones.

ALso you always have the option of just using water purification drops...come in little eye dropper type bottles. You put a few drops in the water bottle w/ the water you take from a lake or something and have to wait about 20 minutes and then you can drink it. This is fine if you have a clear running stream w/ minimal sediment in the water and no alge ect but if not although the water will be safe to drink it probably wont taste too good and you will have stuff floating in it.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
banditt007 said:
i was looking at those too, they are generally cheaper, and from what i remember do not filter as good. I'm sure there is some company that makes the water bottle type that filters as good as the pump ones.

ALso you always have the option of just using water purification drops...come in little eye dropper type bottles. You put a few drops in the water bottle w/ the water you take from a lake or something and have to wait about 20 minutes and then you can drink it. This is fine if you have a clear running stream w/ minimal sediment in the water and no alge ect but if not although the water will be safe to drink it probably wont taste too good and you will have stuff floating in it.
Exactly the problem...YUCK! Water is supposed to be refreshing, not repulsive. :lol:

I'm sure there is something out there. I just need to do some research.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
sooner, if you are in the field, the bottle will do nicely. I almost always run it thru twice. You can always pack a med bottle (cough syrup size) of clorox bleach, too. Yes... you'll taste some chlorine, but if you drink city water you won't notice it. If you are using it to cook... the chlorine will dissipate, as well. It only takes a few drops in a quart of water. :wink:

In an urban situation, buy a Brita Water Pitcher! It absolutely rocks and has a very high rating with the AMA. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Exactly the problem...YUCK! Water is supposed to be refreshing, not repulsive. :lol:
[/quote]

remember guys, this is a SURVIVAL forum. backpacking is one thing, but most of the time, were not going to be lugging a 40 lb pack around that we could live from for days.

i have found that the purification tablets work well. taste leaves something to be desired, but itll keep you ticking

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I had the wrong idea about the pump filters. I could use every single one I have looked at so far. From the pic above, I thought it was one of those bladder-type pumps that you have to squeeze. I can do the others with the pump lever just fine. Might have to try one of those out to see how I like it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
the one i pictured, in the picture has the pump handle all the way collapsed and the handle of it swung towards the center for ease of carry. That handle will pivot back out and work like a bicycle pump, up and down.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I went through Air Force survival training they permitted us to bring one food item - one roll of mint Life Savers to add to our water to cut the chemical taste of the water purification tabs. One Life Saver to a quart of water. I can't remember if the instructors recommended peppermit or spearmint or whatever. It helped a lot.

I use this purifier for canoe trips and also have it packed in my get out of town fast pack.
http://www.rei.com/product/3863.htm?vca ... AMPING_TOC
It purifies. It will also handle most, if not all, chemical or biological agents that could be added to a municipal water supply if you're concerned about that sort of thing. Works on a pump or gravity feed. Costs a little more than some of the filters mentioned here but does so much more

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use the same filter as banditt007, though under the PUR name... same filter, different label. Works great, takes out everything I'm worried about, easy to change the filter, easy to use, and small enough to fit into any bag or pack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My name is Todd Hubbs and I am the Director of Content Marketing at Brita. If you didn’t know, Brita makes some of the best water filters on the market. With over 40 years of experience, we know that the secret to great tasting water is using a Brita filter.
Water filtration systems are important. The water in your home could contain traces of lead, zinc, copper, fluoride and arsenic. If consumed, they can do serious damage to your body. The water you drink and cook with should be filtered to remove toxins or dissolved solids that may be present – this includes chlorine and fluoride compounds. It's recommended that you use a filter that reduces most standard contaminants to ensure the best possible quality of water in your home.
Product Line Font Gas Machine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts