Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I searched using the forum's search and also using advanced google...nothing.

I was wondering how folks waterproof their handloads for waterfowl hunting or whether a good crimp does the job? I know I often have my pockets filled with water when wading in a swamp and the shells are soaked. Has never been an issue with my factory loads but with re-loads I'm wondering if sealing wax or something else is necessary.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
/

Well Jt...., ordinary Hair Spray or an Artists Acrylic Spray come to mind first.

But that could increase outside diameter, doncha think, causing feeding or extraction problems?

I think an ordinary ziplock bag would be an easier solution, since a good tight wad will keep water out of the powder.

Of course, if yer hunting waterfowl 300 meters down, yah, I guess the waterproofing could be necessary. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Put some paper towel in a spent hull, and crimp it. See if it passes your immersion test.

/ :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have used a drop of candle wax dead centre of my crimp, seems to work fine. My waterfowl hunting is usually from pits, in the prairies, rather than slogging around sloughs.

Factory shells also have a sealer on the primer. I light coat of nail polish should work.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've done the wax and laquer bit to seal but with lead shot. Also have modified a soldering iron to seal center. Might want to consider buying enough factory loads to do your swamp hunting.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I've used a drop of candle wax over the crimp but usually only when I get a pin hole in the crimp.

I've also taken my wife's clear finger nail polish and used it to seal the crimp and around the primer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey folks,

I also use a candle to melt several drops of wax on the crimp, and then I quickly run it up the final crimp die once again to spread the wax across the crimp. I probably do not run it all the way up - just till I feel the crimp punch working the wax. The wax comes out solid across the crimp and very smooth. Occasionaly the wax may break and fall out, but that is very rare. I have some shells that I sealed with wax several years ago, and they look perfect to this day. I use finger nail polish not only to seal primers, but even more often to identify certain loadings by color.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

1 - 8 of 8 Posts