Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the old days, we always gave them away to the people who cleaned our ducks for us.

If they tasted as good as ducks, everyone would be after them.

Demi

P.S. I don't eat the crows I shoot, either...

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
lossking said:
BADDUCK said:
lossking said:
They are good if you know how to cook them. Down here we make a gumbo with the breasts and legs, and it's quite tasty.
Yeah, but you guys will eat anything that doesn't move fast enough. :roll:
Haha! Only because the Cajuns can make it taste good.
I never ate a coot and have no plans to. But my girlfriend made 2 gallons of Gadwall gumbo yesterday. Will be havng some of that and iron skillet cornbread tonight!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I'm not a Cajun, I live on the opposite end of the Mississippi. But I do shoot and eat coots.

They aren't bad when used in stews or gumbo where the meat generally is more of a filler than a main feature. With the right spices and a bit of aging the breast meat is pretty good. I even use them as an appetizer which uses a mustard sauce.

I will agree that coyotes don't seem to like coots, I have had the carcasses sit out for weeks before something eventually ate them. Dead crows disappear a lot quicker though that is in the summer and it may be their scent becomes more noticeable sooner.

BTW, crows are pretty decent for stews and gumbos just like coots. I don't use the ones shot in the summer as they seem to be susceptible to insect borne diseases but the fall and winter shot ones are pretty tasty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.