Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a Weatherby Athena or Orion O/U. Are they well built and reliable? Anyone have any information. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I bought an Athena 20G in late summer this year. I put plenty of ammo through it on clays and used it for doves without a hitch. I'm new to O/U's so I can't be much help other than saying that this gun IS a joy to carry and shoot. No problems to date...............If you scroll down a few pages somewhere on this board, there is a post I put up asking about Weatherby's with some good discussion (pro's and con's). Personally the Athena doesn't look right in my hands. It's just too pretty. I would have been perfectly happy with an Orion but since I pretty much stole this gun for a little over $600, I'm not going to complain. I'm getting used to it now. :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
The Orion is the base-model version of the Weatherby O/U's, which are mechanically identical. You could pay more for a similar gun made by SKB, which makes the metal for Weatherby. I've owned my Orion for four years, no problems. I like the rounded pistol grip of mine, as opposed to the regular pistol grip on the higher-grade Athenas.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The grip on my Athena is the same as the Orion. What Athena's are you talking about? :? Anyway I think the Athena's here are going for 1699.00? And I know for sure the Orion is 999.00. I would get the Orion. No need for all that flash and paying $600-$700 more for the same basic gun.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You're right about the O/U grips. I was looking at a page with some Orion Super Sporting Clays models and misread them as Athenas.
Anyway, I prefer the Prince-of-Wales grip, which with the nice balance and weight is why I like the Weatherby. I bought the Orion because like you I didn't see the need for the fancier wood and false sideplates. Mine went out the door for $1,000. $600 is positively theft! Was that priced new?

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I'm selling an Orion II.

You can check here if interested.

Very nice guns. Reliable, good balance and well made. Selling mine because I have an abundance of 12 gauge O/Us and I don't shoot this one much.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It was mis-tagged as a used gun. Yes it was new. Not a scratch or any sign of wear, still had styrofoam in the barrels. :lol: Happy Thanksgiving...............................That is also a hell of a deal on the Orion Shooter is selling. If you're in the market right now, you'd be a fool to let it get away. jmho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts