Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying an O/U shotgun...many suggestions are to buy a SKB made Weatherby. Is this to say that they are made by someone else now? Is a new Weatherby a good gun? In the $1000-$1500 range is there a better suggestion for a new American made gun?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The new ones are made by Fausti Stefano.

From what I understand, they make guns at different price points, with varying quality and longevity. Well, really, so does Beretta, but Beretta's baseline is pretty high and the "serious" competition guns like the DT10 are fairly high up there in price.

Some of their guns are gorgeous. I handled a Fausti SxS the other day, priced under $1500, and it feels amazingly good.

However, they haven't been on the scene as long as SKB, who has sold guns as Ithaca, Weatherby, Orvis and SKB brands, probably more. I have an Ithaca SKB 500 O/U in 20 Gauge that's over 30 years old and still going strong. I'd consider it a "proven" gun. :)

So, I think that nobody knows whether the Weatherby Faustis are as good as the SKBs. They've only been out for a short time.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
SKB-made Weatherbys? Yes. And you can get some buys on them right now. Are they worth $1,000 to $1,500 NIB? Yes, IMO. You will get a gun that is what it seems to be...a reliable performer, a durable gun and not at all unattractive. I'd check CDNN and see if they have any SKB-made models, but I'd make sure I was getting an SKB-made gun.

Fausti-made Weatherbys? I'm not convinced yet.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Viper Freq said:
In the $1000-$1500 range is there a better suggestion for a new American made gun?
There's NO American made double at that price point new. You do know the SKB is made in Japan, right? The only low end double made in the US is the Ruger Red Label... most folks like the 28ga, but the 12 and 20 have pretty horrible reputations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts