Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, I got to handle and shoot a couple of the new Weatherby SAS shotguns. I wrote a detailed evaluation of my experience, but when I posted it on this site, somehow the "computer gremlins" on this board ate my writeup and it disappeared before it was even posted. I'm still P.O.'ed about losing it, but I thought I would write a shortened version for you.

The Weatherby SAS is the new autoloader from Weatherby. If you want to read about all its features, go to this link. http://www.weatherby.com/shotguns/action_sa.shtml

I'll simply summarize the features by saying that it has all the features that anyone should want in a modern autoloader.

I got to handle and shoot the synthetic version with a 26" barrel. I also got to handle, but not shoot, the wood stocked field version with a 26" barrel. Both guns seemed to handle well and were nicely balanced. The field version had nice looking wood. The trigger pulls on each gun were heavier than I like with the synthetic breaking at about 7 1/2 pounds and the wood version at about 7 1/4 pounds. I'm sure that I could lighten the pull to about 3 3/4 to 4 pounds which is what I prefer.

I shot about 60 sporting clays targets with the synthetic version and did quite well in spite of the heavy trigger pull. The gun seemed to fit me well without any adjustments from the shims supplied with the gun. I had only one malfunction in the 60 rounds. One empty shell stuck in the ejection port. A quick pull on the operating handle cleared the empty and loaded the next round. I'm confident that if the gun had been lubed well with Breakfree CLP that the one hangup would probably not have occurred. I didn't get a chance to pattern the gun or shoot it for POI on a paper target, but I just held my normal sight picture and broke targets very well. My overall impression of both guns was favorable. If I were buying one, I'd select the field (wood) version with a 28" barrel. I like the design and features of this gun very much. I think they are selling for somewhere around $600 to $650 and as such have a lot to offer. They are certainly more modern in design and function than the Remington 1100 or 1187. I would even prefer the design to the Browning due to the fully adjustable cast/drop feature plus the chrome bore of the SAS. They appear to be very similar to the Beretta 391 in features, but I like the simpler design of the SAS plus the easier to clean/maintain design of the SAS. In short, if I were looking to buy a new autoloading shotgun, there is a high likelihood that it would be the SAS. I think that Weatherby has a winner with this Italian made shotgun.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Great write up! I gotta say I am now leaning more towards the SAS for my new gun. It is still between that and the HK (Fabarm) lion series.

G

·
How does the SAS by Weatherby compare to say the Beretta AL Urika Sporting model?? Just curious since I am considering buying a new auto.

·
Premium Member
19,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guest,

Check out the Weatherby link that I posted above and you can see all the features of the SAS. It appears to me that the SAS has all the desirable features that the Beretta 391 Urika has but the SAS has some additional advantages, IMO.

For one, the SAS has the recoil spring around the magazine tube like the older and much revered Browning 2000 and also like the Beretta Xtrema. This make cleaning, inspection, and replacement (if necessary) a piece of cake. It also totally eliminates the sometimes breakage prone "link" which on the Beretta 391 connects the bolt slide to the recoil spring in the buttstock. Cleaning or changing a recoil spring in the buttstock can be a PITA for someone who is not a competent shotgun mechanic. Additionally, the recoil spring around the magazine tube helps keep the recoil in a straight line with the bore rather than directing it at a downward angle inside the buttstock. This seems to help reduce felt recoil and possibly reduce muzzle rise.

Also, the SAS has a MUCH simpler gas system than the Beretta Urika 391. There is just one large, sturdy, easy to clean piece (piston) which fits around the magazine tube. It has no "feet" to break off, no thin shaft to slide on, and is utterly simple to remove, clean, and replace.

And finally, the SAS is about $200 less than the Urika 391. Also, the Briley made choke tubes which come with the SAS will fit several other guns such as Winchester, Browning Invector, and Mossberg. This could save a person a couple hundred dollars if they already have one of these other guns.

Oh yes, one other thing I almost forgot. Weatherby actually has a customer service department that gives a damn about the customer as opposed to Beretta which has a very spotty record in this regard.

These are the main differences that I can think of. If you have any further questions, I'll do my best to answer them. BTW, I don't work for or receive any compensation of any kind from Weatherby (darn it). :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since you (Guest) were asking about the Sporting Clays version, Weatherby also makes one of those in the SAS. It comes with your choice of a 28" or 30" barrel, porting in the barrel, 5 choke tubes, and a Hi-Viz front sight. In other words, essentially the same thing as the Beretta sporting clays gun. All the SAS guns also have the lengthened forcing cones which I think come on the new Optima guns, so there shouldn't be any need to send the SAS off for any aftermarket work of any kind. It already comes with everything a person could want except perhaps a custom fitting, and the shim adjustable buttstock will take care of that for many shooters.

G

·
Thanks!!!! I'm going to try to find both the Weatherby and the Beretta to look at and hold. I am going to borrow a Beretta sporter for sporting clay shoot in a couple of weeks. Should be alot better than my Winchester turkey pump shotgun.

Again, thanks and good review. I will definetly be getting the sporting in one or the other since I can't afford a "good" o/u.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts