Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that this comes standard on several Mossberg models. I was wondering if it has any real function. It seems a little gimmicky, but it at the same time it might help you if your are prone to losing control of the forend when you fire. I have never had that problem, but might consider trying one out if someone can convince me that it does something, anything else.

So, what does it do?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Keeps your hand on the forend when it's sweaty, bloody, or otherwise prone to slip off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
it would also allow you to cycle the action 1 handed if you slide that loop over anything sticking out. You could even use your foot.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Of course, everything currently offered on a Mossy is functional.... :roll:

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Gdub, this one's been around for a while, and does provide some function.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I believe that forearm hand restraints originated with short-barreled(14" or less) pumps, where having your hand slide of the forearm could easily put it in front of the muzzle. I've seen photos of forearms with a vertical plate at the front end for the same purpose.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I had an old Surefire weaponlight for an 870 that had the strap with a small piece of padding at the front from back in the early 90s. The padding was supposed to help protect your hand from the dreaded Surefire bite. The strap itself as far as I know was to keep your hand on the light/foreend.
I liked it, and you didn't have to worry about your hand slipping.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I like to have my support hand at the rear of the pump so I find it interferes with my grip

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
I bought this Mossberg factory forend strap and put it on my Cruiser, after first looking all over for suitable eyelets to reinforce the strap at the four screw holes. I finally found some at a sewing/fabric business. The eyelets came with a small tool to be used with a hammer to crimp the eyelets well.

This man on e-Bay has came up with a better design, although I wonder if one should use 4 small black lockwashers like the Mossberg factory product uses. Mossberg 500 Pump Shotgun Forearm Forend Strap PUNISHER, $14 + $2 s/h; 3 available

"These are designed to out-perform the factory Mossberg forend strap. I also do own a Mossberg Cruiser. After having the factory strap rip apart around the mounting screws, I decided to upgrade the strap with a better and more durable design. Rather than using the lightweight nylon strap that Mossberg uses, I decided to go with the heavyweight material that can withstand much more abuse. If you own a Cruiser, then you would know exactly what I am talking about. The nylon will stretch within time and the washers will slip right through them. I have found a way to avoid that situation, by permanently attaching a special washer to the forearm strap. You will never worry about the strap ever ripping, stretching or falling apart like the factory straps.

"Instantly enhance your shotgun by adding one of these forend straps. With this forend strap you can securely cycle your weapon as fast as you can, without worrying about your hand slipping off. Widely used today by the military and the police. I also have these available in yellow and red thread. Please advise at check out.

"Each package will include: 4x Powdercoated Hardware, 1x Installation Instruction, and 1x Forearm Strap."

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts

Maybe use the e-Bay Contact Seller feature and request a Mohave-Tec version? :)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Almost looks like "PUNSIHER" is embroidered, which would significantly up the cost. If he won't/can't sell without, get a (inexpensive) sewing seam ripper and judiciously remove the embroidered lettering.

alt,
Nice pets (that just wanna stand in your shadow...). Maybe bring some home and start your own "Arachnophobia-up-the-Coast".
Man, just think of one of those mated with a brown recluse... :shock:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.