Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: This post is more for information rather than value as I have no intention of selling this old shotgun as I bought it used some 45 years ago as a teenager when I lived in Canada.

The Gun is marked Webley & Scott Birmingham on each side of a nicely colored case hardened receiver the single barrel is 32" and it marked 3" with a 12 in a diamond there is a crown over a BNP or maybe it is B\P and the barrel is also marked 3 1/2 Tons per square " (it actually is a square not the word). Just before the Crown over the B\P is the number .729" It has a nicely figured Prince of Wales stock and all parts, barrel, receiver, forestock and butstock bear the serial number 72133. It is fitted with an ejector not an extractor.

When I looked it up using the link for Webley & Scott serial numbers the range indicates 1902?? so I do not think the serial # fits with this information because I don't think there was 3" 12 gauge ammunition then.

I would like to know the year of manfacture and what kind of ammunition I should use when I shoot this old gun. It has probably been 40 years since I shot this and I do not remember what shells I used except I recall they were plastic not paper.

I am hoping to take up this sport again as I also have a Franchi 620 and a Zoli O/U 20 and maybe I am getting a Verona O/U 12 :D

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
The 3" shell, in 12 bore was available in 1902, however I don't think you gun is that old. The Crown over BNP is the Birmingham definitive nitro proof, since 1954. It was proofed at 3 1/2 tons and had a bore diameter of 729 thousands of an inch. Is there an address on the barrel? I'm not sure, but I think Holland & Holland owns the Webley & Scott name at present.. Bushrod

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, there is no address or name on the barrell only the sn on the part that goes into the receiver and that matches the other parts and the proof marks and dimensions etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks A5Guy I have written to H & H via snail mail, maybe they will deign a reply.

I was wondering after cleaning the old gun; maybe it was re barreled?? The barrel is certainly proofed after the serial # 72133 indicates as 1904 so maybe it was damascus originally and then it was fitted with a new barrel. The lug on the bottom of the barrel (same sn)on which it breaks open could have been applied to a new barrel as well as the tang (lug) (again same sn) that the splinter forstock attaches to.

I would think that the 3 1/2 Tons per square inch per the 50's proof mark, BNP with a crown over is a little anemic given the ammunition available at the time. Is the proofing conducted on the barrel only or is it with the receiver too?

I am wondering if this was in fact a 1900's gun originally a damascus barrel turned into something more modern?

Oh well maybe Holland & Holland will give me more information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.