Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am shopping for my first O/U and I have a question about the 725 Field VS Sporting. I have seen in some reviews that the sporting model weighs more, but Browning's website says it actually weighs 2 oz LESS than the Field model in the same configuration (12GA/28 inch). Can anyone verify this? I am looking for a gun for pheasants and sharptails. I have eyed the Field and the Feather models but the 14 1/4 LOP feels short to me. I like the LOP on the SP1, so am thinking the 14 3/4 LOP on the 725 Sporting will fit me better. I am willing to spend more on the sporting if it fits better, especially since I like the receiver engravings better on it. I am guessing the 28 inch Sporting would be the best length for field use?

·
Registered
27,946 Posts
Those are just nominal weights. When you get down to ounces, wood density alone can change the weight by 1/4 pound.

As I tested, 7 lbs. 1 oz.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My son shoots the sporting and I just sold my field model and they both felt very close in weight, with no noticeable difference. I sold mine as I didn't like the LOP on the field and now have purchased a 725 skeet.

If you are concerned with the LOP, then go with the sporting. If you are concerned with weight, then go with the 725 feather as that one is almost a pound lighter than the field model.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@bbush, based on the dimensions alone, the butt stock should weigh more on the Sporting vs the Field, making the Sporting more heel heavy in the same barrel length, especially with the floating center rib. Neither model is exactly what I want though I think. I am not sure why Browning made the LOP on the Field that short, then supplied with the thickest of the three Inflex pads. I suppose that is just that 'one size fits all close enough' mentality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Browning offers LOP Recoil Pad Spacers in 1/2" and 1/4" for the 725 Citori (as follows). Part number, description, price:

B1181109AA, RECOIL PAD, LOP SPACER 1/2", 5.00
B1181097AA, RECOIL PAD, LOP SPACER 1/4", 5.00

Details here: http://www.browning.com/support/parts-s ... -list.html

Sorry if this is redundant and everyone knows already.

LOP spacers are not perfect - not a custom stock LOP - but can be helpful/useful.

·
Registered
415 Posts
hiplainsdrifter said:
Hello, I am shopping for my first O/U and I have a question about the 725 Field VS Sporting. I have seen in some reviews that the sporting model weighs more, but Browning's website says it actually weighs 2 oz LESS than the Field model in the same configuration (12GA/28 inch). Can anyone verify this? I am looking for a gun for pheasants and sharptails. I have eyed the Field and the Feather models but the 14 1/4 LOP feels short to me. I like the LOP on the SP1, so am thinking the 14 3/4 LOP on the 725 Sporting will fit me better. I am willing to spend more on the sporting if it fits better, especially since I like the receiver engravings better on it. I am guessing the 28 inch Sporting would be the best length for field use?
The 28-inch barrel length in Sporting edition is no longer produced. If you want a 725 Sporting with a 28-inch barrel, you are going to have to find inventory at a gun shop or buy used.

Alternatively a new 725 Field in 28-inch barrel length is readily available. Add LoP spacers, and you can fine-tune the LoP to your exact dimension.

As RandyWakeman posted earlier, published weigh is just a starting point. I have a 725 Sporting in 12 gauge with 30-inch barrels that weighs 7 lbs 13 oz. (the specification published by Browning lists 7 lbs. 8 oz. as the weight for a 30-inch 12 gauge 725 Sporting...). If weight is a critical purchase factor for you, you will need to get a portable scale and take it with you to the gun shops and check the weight of the specific shotgun(s) you are considering purchasing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the 20 ga & 410, both Sporting models. The LOP is almost 15" on both. They weigh about 7 lbs 2 oz, the 410 is slightly heavier. My friend has the field 410, considerably shorter LOP, about 14.25 " It would seem the Sporting models are quite long in the buttstock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts