Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the weight of the Auto-5's? Lets say they all had 28" Barrels. I'm undecided on whether to purchase the Light 12 or a 20ga to carry all day on Pheasant Hunts. I would love a Sweet Sixteen, but that will come later when I can afford it

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Light 12 w/ 28" barrel comes in at around 8lbs loaded with 1 in the chamber and 4 in the tube.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
If you can't afford a Sweet then a nice Twenty is probably a bit too much also. You can still find very nice Light-12's in the $300.00-$400.00 range with a little patience and foot work. I can't say off the top of my head what the gun weighs (7lb.8-12oz.?) but I can state as fact after countless hours of hunting the La. bottom lands to the pine ridges that the Light-12 with a 28" plain barrel was never a problem as far as weight was concerned and that was before anyone ever thought to put a sling on a shotgun. If you are just going to have one A-5 I would have to say go with the Light-12.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Belgium Lt 12's with plain 28" barrels will be approx... 7.5 to 7.75 lbs. Belgium Swt 16's and Lt 20's will be about 1 to 1.25 lbs less. Vent rib barrels will add a few more ounces of weight, and all Japan models will be a little heavier.

I agree with A5Mag12, a Lt 12 with a plain barrel will be your best bet...Belgium of course. Two advantages of a plain barrel are:

less weight.... always welcome when long walks are the norm.
less cost....... vent rib barrels always carry a premium in price, as much as $200 or more over the price of plain barreled 12's and even higher for the 20/16's.

Do your homework, it pays to shop around. As A5Mag12 said, there are good deals out there on Lt 12's. The 16 an 20's are my personal favorites, but you really have to be patient to find good deals on those. They are in "high" demand, at least where I am from.

Good luck on your search.... A5-HUNTER

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
According to a Browning factory catalog, which is undated but is probably '53 or '54 as it references the "NEW" speed loading feature and the 20 ga and Mag 12 have not yet been introduced.

Standard 12, 8 lbs

Light 12, 7 lbs 4 oz

Standard 16, 7 lbs 4 oz

Sweet 16, 6 lbs 12 oz

The catalog does not indicate which barrel was used on the standard gun used for weight, but I'd guess they used a plain barrel to make them look lighter.

I have a first year 30" vent rib standard 12 that weighs a full 8 lbs 8 oz, but it also has really dense wood in the stock.

Jeff

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. I had planned on purchasing the Benelli Ultra Light, but got to thinking about how much I missed my Auto Five. I used to have an Auto-5 12ga Mag that I sold when I had a Brain Fart. Can't tell you why I sold it. Wish I hadn't. Anyway, I just got to thinking that there's no reason I can't get another and thought lighter would be nice this time around.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hey Rake, how about a twenty ***** model eleven, (you allready have a twelve), a lot less money and will do the same job, altho they are going up rapidly. :shock:
I have two twentys, one with a ugly vented polychoke that will shoot varible great patterns at any thing I choose to bang away at!! :wink:

·
Registered
962 Posts
pound for pound you are better off using a 16 ***** instead of a 20 gauge for pheasant. You don't lose that much weight with the 20 but you gain a little more fire power with a 16. I usually feel a little under gunned when pheasant hunting later in the season with a 20 gauge, but never have with my 16. I tried pheasant hunting with a 12 gauge and just got plain tired of lugging that heavy gun around. It ended up on my shoulder for most of the hunt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.