It is close to perfect but, it could be Heavier.531.25%
It is close to perfect but, it could be Lighter.16.25%
It needs to be Heavier!531.25%
It needs to be Lighter!16.25%

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I own both guns: Benelli Nova and SuperSport.

I have been shooting better with the NOVA (28") !

I can only attribute it to the heavier weight of the gun because I have developed some problems with flinch, jerking, and a few others I am not 100% sure of yet.

I used to shoot much more than I do now and, I am coming back from a long break of about a year from shooting at all.

The heavier weight of the gun seems to help me be more consistent than with the lighter gun which is the Supersport (30"). I was thinking about adding a forend cap weight/mercury recoil reducer to add some forward weight to the gun but, I am not sure if it is available? Not sure if it would be a good idea?

I know that back when I was shooting more, when I bought both of these guns, my mechanics were much better. However, I am surprised to see that I shoot the many times cheaper gun much better than my Expensive autoloader.

I don't think either gun really "Fits" well. I think I have to lower my head or tilt it to the right just a smidgen to get the proper alignment with the stock and cheek. I have noticed that sometimes I lift my head ever so slightly when I pull the trigger. I am not sure what I could do to make the gun fit me better of if that is how it is supposed to be?

Actually, I am kinda pissed about what seems to be a waist of money on the Supersport (comfortech) since I have been doing so well with the Nova (not comfortech, standard).

Your comments would be greatly appreciated on:
Recoil Differences?
Gun Fit?
Fatigue? (Pumping vs. Auto)
Natural Point of Aim vs Point of Impact?
Your Personal Experience with either gun?
Forend Cap Weight/Recoil Reducer to add front weight?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
202 Posts
I also own both guns (same specs) I have to shoot for a bit to get used to pulling the slide again but I shoot about the same with every gun I own! The added weight of the Nova is in all the wrong places, so I dont think that this is the reason.

My first question to you is which did you shoot first? I am guessing the Nova. When I got my 686, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it (say 15/25) then go out with my nova and shoot 24/25. I just needed to learn the gun better. Different feel, differnt swing. How much have you shot the SS? When I got mine it took me about 250-300 round b4 I got really consitant with it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Overall I am thinking you need to over come your issues b4 you change the gun. Trying to compensate the gun for your issues will make that gun work for you but then you will be making the same mistakes with every gun and you will have to mod every gun to those specs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that overcoming my own shortcomings is the best way to get better results... but, if I can get an aid then I may be able to get there quicker.

When in doubt: practice practice practice which in this sport is so much fun!!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
For some reason, I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I own a whole bunch of shotguns, stack barrels, pumps of various manufactures and autos. Of them all, I shoot my Nova consistently better than the rest. Why ? Who knows! It doesn't seem to fit me very well, but the guys I shoot with call it "BlackMagic".

One piece of advice that I can offer ya from my own experiences. Take one of them to the range and shoot it exclusively for a while. If I take my Nova and 1100 or O/U to the skeet range, I'll shoot whichever I start with just fine. When I change to the other, it'll take me full round to get myself reset on the new gun.

HWD

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't own either gun but I think I can somewhat relate to it. My first hunt with my sbe(my first benelli) was a dove hunt and I shot 100%. 100% missed every bird that I shot at :oops: If my gun shop would've been open the next day I would no longer own it. I knew I didn't have it adjusted right because I was getting a lot of face slap so I changed the shims till I found the right one and then I could hit pretty decent with it.

It wasn't until I patterned my turkey loads that I discovered that it shot high :shock: Apparently some folks like it that way so they can aim under the target. I did not like it. My solution was a hi-vis magnetic sight. It sits high enough on the rib that it forces me to basically aim lower so that the gun shoots straight. Now I shoot that gun as good as any I've ever had.

I'm just guessing here but maybe the nova shoots a 50/50 pattern and the other one shoots high.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Man I have got to go spend some time at the patterning board! When you pattern a shotgun, do you put it in a rest like a rifle or shoot it from your shoulder like you would normally shoot?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
spydermn said:
Man I have got to go spend some time at the patterning board! When you pattern a shotgun, do you put it in a rest like a rifle or shoot it from your shoulder like you would normally shoot?
Since I never shoot my shotgun from a rest, I always pattern it the way I shoot it - from the shoulder. I don't spend a lot of time at the pattern board (although I have) so, I usually find a target or box that is on the ground and shoot at it to see where I am hitting. It is more crude to do it that way but, if I get a nice even cloud around where I am aiming from the dust that is kicked up then that is enough for me.

My guns have always patterned 2-3" of where I am aiming so, I never worried about the gun as much as fit and technique.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It is never easy to go from a weight forward gun and then shoot one with the weight between the hands. For that very reason, I want all my guns to have about the same feel. I can guarantee you that it takes time when changing from one type to another, weight distribution that is. As was suggested before in this thread, shoot the SS exclusively and forget scores, until you learn how to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Pattern from standing shooting as normal. Try not to "aim", just look at the target and shoot. Out of the box guns almost always shoot low for me. On my 21" M1S90 I went to the highest shim and also added a 1/4" Cheek-Eze pad to get it to 50/50. On a 26" SBE, the shim got me there. A friend's M1 needed the highest shim + a 1/2" pad.

To shoot 5 stand with the SBE I used the 8 Oz mercury fore end weight and close to a pound of lead in the stock with good results. It required 3 Dram 1 1/8 Oz loads to cycle, so part of the added weight was lost to added recoil, but the heavier weight made for a smoother swinging gun.

The SS is too light, IMHO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts