Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to both firearms and hunting. I bought a Beretta A300 Ultima this fall after getting suggestions from friends and really like it. I've become pretty familiar with taking it apart and putting it back together, as well as cleaning it. I noticed before my last Pheasant hunt that there was this weird bluish-white mark in the chamber. It's right in front of the ejection port on the barrels side. My one friend said you'll see marks like that from metal rubbing metal but I'm not sure what metal would be rubbing here. I first thought it was some weird residue but I couldn't get it to budge with a brush or patch. Is this normal, or at the very least, anything to be concerned about? It's had exactly 51 rounds shot through it, 50 being target loads.

Also, unrelated, but I was hoping to get some insight into the range of shotguns as it pertains to safety. I see in a lot of hunting videos there being either houses down range across a lake or bay where guys are duck hunting or a road with cars driving down it during field hunts. There was a chart in my Hunters-Ed course that showed the maximum range of different size shot at sea-level ranging from a few hundred feet to a few thousand, but I know that there's a lot of variables. In some of these videos, I could see that either the cars or buildings are pretty close. I know it's always best to play it safe than sorry but I was hoping to get some insights or maybe even rules of thumb when it comes to this, as it seems to be a pretty common thing.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Bicycle part Automotive design Automotive tire Carbon Rim
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no gunsmith and I don't own an A300, but that mark doesn't appear to be in the chamber. It looks like it's inside the front of the receiver, in the slot for the bolt or barrel extension.
That's probably more accurate, thank you. It is, but its opposite where the bolt slides in. The bolt is still in in these pics

·
Registered
558 Posts
You’re gonna experience leftover residue in some areas of the receiver and piston from shooting. It looks as though from the photos you provided you’re describing the channels in the receiver where the bolt slides. As long as you’re not experiencing cycling issues, it’s nothing to be concerned about.

As to the effective range of shotgun ammunition, that depends entirely on the ammunition you’re shooting. Shotguns can fire all sorts of ammunition, and the effective range varies depending on the choke or the type of ammunition.

7.5 or 8 shot light game loads are typically shot with a modified or looser constriction choke with an effective range of 30 yards or so and usually won’t travel more than 60 or 80 yards.

Waterfowl loads pack a bit more punch and are used with a modified choke or tighter construction. The effective range can stretch out to 50+ yards and the shot may travel 100 yards or more.

Buckshot can have an effective range of 80 yards or more, and can travel well over 200 yards.

A slug can have an effective range of 100 yards or more and travel quite a bit further.

Its not good practice to shoot in the direction of houses or populated areas. Especially if you can see them down range. Part of that should have been covered in your hunters education course when discussing “Be aware of what’s beyond your target”.

·
Premium Member
20,272 Posts
Lead shot of 7 1/2 size can carry over 200 yards when the muzzle is elevated about 30 degrees. Size 8 shot can carry about 185 yards. While this might not kill a person who is hit at that distance, it could certainly put an eye out or penetrate the skin and cause bleeding. Larger shot can carry even farther.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I checked my Ultima and don’t see the mark you show in your pics…but if the gun is functioning normally, I don’t think you have a problem at all…shoot with confidence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts