Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching the used gun market for a year, I finally got
tired of waiting for a reasonably priced used ithaca,browning etc. In canada a "good" conditioned ithaca 500 will still go for $600-$700 -if you can find one.
So after reading this forum I decided to buy a baikal as this
will be a field gun. This gun feels lighter than 7.5 lbs, the
wood is actually pretty good, the metal is so-so but the
the reciever looks good. Anyway so far I'm impressed, but
I'll be shooting some tomorrow so I will do a follow up post.
By the way you guy's weren't kidding about the stiff action
when opening/closing. Also should I clean up the internals-
trigger group or just the outsides and inside barrels?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I never opened up my receiver until I had to remove the stock to repair a recent crack. There was no debris inside the receiver, no metal shavings etc. No apparent wear (round count over 6000) all the edges and mechanisms were nice, sharp, and tight. I wiped everything down, put a little oil and grease where seemed appropriate. (not too much it attracts grit).

Initial stiffness is a common complaint, some have snipped a few coils off the ejector springs. Personally I didn't do it and don't really recommend it. Shoot 100 rounds every weekend and in about two and a half months you should be fine. I oil and grease the receiver and moving parts on the barrel and my gun opens and closes quite easily.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
New_Geezer said:
I never opened up my receiver until I had to remove the stock to repair a recent crack. There was no debris inside the receiver, no metal shavings etc. No apparent wear (round count over 6000) all the edges and mechanisms were nice, sharp, and tight. I wiped everything down, put a little oil and grease where seemed appropriate. (not too much it attracts grit).

Initial stiffness is a common complaint, some have snipped a few coils off the ejector springs. Personally I didn't do it and don't really recommend it. Shoot 100 rounds every weekend and in about two and a half months you should be fine. I oil and grease the receiver and moving parts on the barrel and my gun opens and closes quite easily.
That's pretty much all I did with my Remington SPR310 20ga. My gun over time opens easily and closes like a vault with out any problems. Oil the gun good and grease the hinge pin and you should be good to go. Don't forget to clean the threads and lubricate the choke tubes as well. From what I've seen you will be able to shoot the crap out of this shotgun without any problems. Looking forward to reading your range reports g-boa and welcome to the Baikal forum here at Shotgunworld..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just got back from a nearby gamefarm and the gun
perfomed as good as promised. I didn't put a whole lot of
rounds through it but first 2 shots 2 birds. I just shot about
20 rounds just for fun and the gun felt good-kicked alot harder
than I thought it would. Action loosened up slightly but still
very stiff-may consider the modification. All in all I'm very
happy with it-it is a good field gun for the right price. Soon
I'll take some pic's because the colour of the wood is
actually very nice.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
g-boa said:
Well I just got back from a nearby gamefarm and the gun
perfomed as good as promised. I didn't put a whole lot of
rounds through it but first 2 shots 2 birds. I just shot about
20 rounds just for fun and the gun felt good-kicked alot harder
than I thought it would. Action loosened up slightly but still
very stiff-may consider the modification. All in all I'm very
happy with it-it is a good field gun for the right price. Soon
I'll take some pic's because the colour of the wood is
actually very nice.
put a good limbsaver or packmyer pad on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took out my izh-27 again today..more and more I'm impressed
with this gun. It performed much better than I did, but I
still managed to put a few birds in the bag. I trimmed a couple
of coils and with a few more rounds fired the action is definitely
getting smoother. When I told my dad I bought a new gun-
a russian gun, he imediatley scoffed, but when he picked it
up and handled it he was impressed. Anyway just wanted
to update everyone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I decided to throw down the cash for a SPR310 this past weekend, $399 Dicks Sporting Goods. It has performed great at the range, having put 200 rounds through it the first weekend with decent accuracy. The wood & metal looked good and the receiver was finished well.

The action was a little stiff in the beginning, but After 200 rounds, it works and fits very nicely now. Great Gun for the money!

I just ordered a set of "GOLDEN" SPORTING CLAYS CHOKE TUBES for it and am expecting a better pattern. I will let you guys know how they perform.

http://www.colonialarms.com/ct13.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts