Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on the forum long and have enjoyed many sections of the board so far.

I used the Benders cheat sheet (Thanks to the poster for that info) and made my own pocket reference card for the foot positions and used it last night during League. I've never been a great Skeet shooter usually can manage 42-43.

Using the foot positions last night I came away with a 23 and 23. So for me anyway the information helped my game. The four misses were from H2 and L6.

This morning I went back to the Cheat Sheet posted and more than likely I was leading to much from those two stations. So I made another pocket reference card for the lead that Bender notes as a starting point.

Who knows, with a little more concentration and gathering more good information like on this site, I might make my first 25 before the league ends.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I would like to thank Case for all that hard work also! Just downloaded the PDF files to study. Hopefully it will increase my scores also. Thanks again Case, another great and informative post!

Bob

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well Bob White, your post led me to read Case's post on a Bender cheat sheet and I thank you for that lead. It is really worthwhile for me as an instructor to have such an excellent post on this forum.

Now, if you are leading too much on H 2 and L 6, I would like to know how you are shooting those stations. Please describe your approach to these shots. Best regards, Floyd in Vienna

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well basically I am following Benders foot positions, calling for the bird and swing through the bird and firing once I see (meaning guess) about 2-3 ft of lead. The ones I did break at that station were hit pretty light.

Next week I'll shorten up the lead, basically fire as soon as I pass the target. I'm pretty sure that will do the trick.

Any suggestions besides maybe take up bowling? :)

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
You said you swing through the bird, so just forget about lead. Catch it, shoot right at it, and it will break. You are coming from behind, the gun has to be moving faster than the target to catch it, shoot right at it and by the time the gun actually goes off, you will be front of the target...automatic lead. H2 and L6 are perfect swing through targets!

No stinkin' thinkin'...see it, shoot it, and keep swinging. BTW, works on quail too.

NOW, you can learn to shoot it with sustained lead

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice folks. I'll try shooting H2 and L6 as suggested.

Sustained lead is going to take a little work on my part. I've always used swing through. But I'm always up for trying anything that'll improve my average.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well, Bob White, if you are swinging through, coming from behind, on H2 and L6, you are not following Bender's guidance; you are using a typical field game shooter's technique. Thanks for that info. Now for some unsolicited guidance. If you would like to shoot H2 and L6 with confidence, and break the targets well before the stake; try this.
Learn how to use lower body movement on all skeet targets.
This means belly button into the low house window, feet about as far apart as your shoulders are wide; considerable extra weight on your left foot; gun position one third of the way out from and even with the bottom of the window; eye position softly about halfway back to the window; be mentally ready when you call for the bird. You will see first an orange streak. When you see the orange streak, start to move using only lower body movement; the upper part of your body is like the turret on a tank, rock solid. The relative positon of your head, gun and arms is constant. Look hard to see the leading edge of the target in sharp focus. when you see in sharp focus the leading edge of the target; SHOOT!!! Do NOT look for lead! The small amount of lead needed will have been built into the shot by your lower body movement. You will be amazed at how slow that H2 target appears to be moving. Plenty of time for that target. You will take the first target some 3 or 4 yards before the center stake; look up for the double, the second target will be right over the stake; establish the lead and blast it! This system works. Bender teaches essentially the same; but says to see a bit of daylight in front of the target. My experience is that most shooters try to establish a certain amount of lead on this target and end up looking back to the bbl and the target is long gone by the time they refocus on the target. They end up taking the target well beyond the stake, then have to hurry to get the second target in doubles. Try it, you will like it. Floyd in Vienna

1 - 9 of 9 Posts