Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...for now.

I now have a complete set of Mec 600Jr Mk Vs in 12, 20, 28, and .410.

For my volume of shooting they are all I need.

Now all I need to do is settle on a good powder for both light 12ga and light 20ga loads that I can use for both gauges. A multi-tasking powder, if you will :wink:

Any comments on Solo 1000?

Other powders?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I think there are some really lite 20 gauge loads with 1000, but really too fast for the 20, 1250 is better suited. And 1250 can be used in the 12 very well, but doesn't like lite loads, does very well stoked up. Both single based elastic propellants, meter well and can be bought in 25 pounders.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I like International Clays. It works great for 3/4 oz 20 gauge and will do for 7/8 oz, but pressure might be a little high if you use a tubeset. In 12 gauge, it works fine for high velocity 7/8 oz, or medium velocity 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz.

I tend to shoot more 20 gauge, and those 3/4 oz loads are sweet for skeet. 12.5 grains and a AA wad in either AA or Rem hulls. 8)

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Well Equismith, when did you get the 12 ga. reloader. Holding out on me, Huh. :D What happened to the 155 loader? Didn't like it?

Heck, you might not even talk to me after my post about the pumps. :shock:

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Don, I'll still talk to you. But only if you shoot my 20ga BPS with my experimental loads :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Realy though, I got some cash for Christmas and thought I'd go ahead and get the 600 in 12ga. Picked up an 8oz can of PB from The Gun Rack in K-vegas and the reloader from GM along with a 7/8oz chargebar.

I've already got some a ticking through the 600. I've got it set up to reload AA, STS, and black GLs with either the grey or white Claybuster wads for 7/8-1oz loads. I'm starting with 19.0 gr of PB. I'd like to get some Promo, but I'm not real sure what to get. I may be stuck with using four powders. One for each gauge.

Anyway, the crimps on all three type hulls are great. So getting hulls shouldn't be an issue since everyone leaves the black GLs on the ground at Ophir. I got 75 once fired AAs the last time I shot there.....(ssssshhhhhhhhhh....don't let driller know)I'll be there Sat and Sun hopefully. I may watch the Panthers again.....Hope they beat the Falcons!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Equismith, What's your experience been like with the 600Jr in 410 bore? I've been toying with the idea of loading the little pipsqueak. The majority of my small game hunting for the last few years has been with the 410 and 28. I still have many boxes of factory shells left, but I like to experiment and pattern loads. I have a couple hundred Remington 3" SP hulls, a hundred or so Win 3", and about 150 2 1/2" Rem Game loads. Any problems at all getting good crimps with the Jr, or with hulls buckling. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HuntNshoot,

I have never reloaded 3" 410 hulls. I ONLY load 410 2 1/2' Win HS hulls due to their high volume reloadability (Eyemissum's coined word). Occasionally I'll toy around with other 410 hulls, but the HS is now KING of the reloads for 410 in my book.

I'm sure 3"ers will do just as well. Eyemissum's brother reloads some in 3" and they shoot very well.

I have had absolutely NO problems with the 600Jr in 410 or for any other gauge for that matter.

Some like the Sizemaster which is basically a 600 with a resizing collet rather than a resizing ring.

Both do very well.

Let us know if you do get a roun' tuit!

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
HuntNshoot, As Equismith said in his post my brother loads 3" .410's.

The only problem he says he has is, they will crumple very easily if you aren't very careful putting the final crimp in.

To much pressure an they will wrinkle, not enough an you get a poor final crimp.

The problem with the 3"er's is they are so long an skinny there is nothing to support the hull on the final crimp.

Also wads for the 3" hulls are next to impossible to find, they don't make them anymore. Everybody that I know just uses the wads made for the 2 1/2" shells, leaving the shot exposed above the top of the wad. Don't have a clue what that does to patterns though.

Hoashooter does have some 3" wads for sell, or did. If you're interested, send him a pm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.