Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a gun show yesterday to check out whats available there. I walked out with a 391 Urika Sporting about a year old and shot 18 shells through it. Its brand new comes with everything case, chokes, cleaning etc etc. I put a deposit on it and tonight I'm going with a reminder to pick it up. Cost me $950
I'm exited as I was going to buy new for about $1430. Thats canadian converted to us, the guns are a little more expensive here.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Welcome to your new addiction! I have 4 berettas and I am about to buy my 5th some time in '06. You'll have a lot of fun w/ that gun. I have it in 12g and 20g. Take care!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked it on monday nite. The gun is mint its a 391 Urika Sporting with 30" barrel. The owner bought in and never shot it he gave me two boxes of ammo (Federal AA's) that he bough with the gun one is full and one has 7 shells left so the gun had 18 shells through it. Can this gun be used for hunting as well as trap shooting. Can I shoot slugs through it. As a new owner is there anything I should look for? How often should I clean it? Any accessories I should look at?

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Paulinski said:
Can this gun be used for hunting as well as trap shooting. Can I shoot slugs through it. As a new owner is there anything I should look for? How often should I clean it? Any accessories I should look at?

Thanks

Paul
It would make a fine waterfowl gun, that's why I bought my Urika. It would also make a good upland gun if you can handle the weight of the gun while walking in a field for several hours.

I don't shoot slugs so I don't know about shooting slugs through it.

You should give it a thorough cleaning and lubing before you shoot it. I clean mine after about 300 - 400 shells.

You might also want to feed it 3 dram 12g ammo to break it in. I shot about 2 cases of Winchester AA heavy 7.5 shot 3 dram 1200 fps and AA super 7.5 shot 1300 fps shells through it after I bought mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with the cleaning and lubing comment. I'm not too familiar with cleaning and lubing procedure for this gun. I'll check the manual today. I have a case of Fedearal 3 Dram 1200fps 8 shot target load. Is this a good ammo to break the gun in?
Also the gun came with 4 chokes which one should I use for trap from 16 yeard line.

Thanks. You guys are very helpfull here.

Paul

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I am sure #8 shot w/ 3 dram will do a fine job of breaking the gun in. You should have received 5 chokes (C,IC,M,IM & F) w/ your 391. What chokes came w/ the gun? I use Mod at the 16yd line for trap. However I experimented a bit and found that I shot about the same w/ IC (which is what I use for 5 stand and SC). Both using 7.5 shot.

Here's some reading you might enjoy....

http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_re ... ndex1.html

http://www.berettausa.com/brag/club_hunt.htm

http://www.berettausa.com/brag/club_competition.htm

Beretta 391 Power Clean Kit
Standard American Products offers the ultimate power cleaning kit for owners of Beretta's 391 and 390. The 10-piece kit features stainless-steel brushes for cleaning all piston and barrel lug parts, special designed speed wrench, port brush, utility brushes for the trigger assembly, gunsmith's bore and chamber brush. This kit comes in a handy carry case that easily fits into a shooting bag.
Standard American Products
P.O. Box 61541
Savannah, GA 31420
(888) 447-3206
Dealer inquiries welcome
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have the same gun. Mine came with the chokes OBX351 mentioned, except that the most open choke is labelled "SK" for skeet rather than C (cylinder). I have SK, IC, M, IM, and F.

You should be able to shoot slugs with the gun. Check the manual on that. I've never shot slugs but the info I've seen always says to use a cylinder choke. If you have one then that's the answer. I don't know if IC is safe or not.

I haven't done any options on my gun. I'm considering a trigger job by Allen Timney. I also bought the Cole wrench for removing the nuts that hold the gas valve in place.

There are recoil reducers and also an attachment that adds a bar to the bolt release button. This makes it easier to close the bolt. Instead of locating the button you can hit the bar with any part of your palm. I could see use in that for hunting maybe. Doesn't seem to make much difference in target shooting.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sorry for the second post....

The gun is not that hard to clean, just read the manual on how the take the gun apart. In fact after your first cleaning it is very easy to clean.

Initially the hardest part of the reassembly for me was getting the bolt assembly (on page 38 parts labeled: A9 through A 14) back into the gun. Once I figured it out it was never a problem again. You just have to assemble it and work it back into the receiver so that it will cycle.

The hardest thing for me to clean is the inside of the receiver, I just use brushes, my chamber brush w/ a cut piece of cloth and q-tips. Other then this cleaning and lubing were pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. The gun came with 4 chokes (I can't tell which ones as I'm at work now, I'll check it when I get home) I noticed that the case has room for 4 chokes so the 5th one must have been in the barrel.
I'm going to order the Power Clean Kit as well.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That's it, the 5th choke is in the gun. Tell me how you like the power cleaning kit, I am thinking of getting one. Take care!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just checked the chokes and here is what I have

1) PB-M-SP
2) PB-IC-SP
3) PB-F-SP
4) PB-IM-SP

So I'm missing the SK choke. Is this the Skeet choke? Which choke should I use for trap shooting. OBX as soon as the kit arrives I'll let you know how I like it. I'm a little dissapointed that one of the chokes was missing what threw me off was that there were 4 places for chokes in the case.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You are missing the cylinder choke (aka your skeet choke). For 16 yard trap I would use a mod choke and for 20+ I would use a full or at least an IM. FYI the SP means you can shoot steel shot w/ these chokes.

I would contact Trulock http://www.trulockchokes.com/ for a replacement choke. You need either a cylinder or a skeet choke either will do the job for shooting skeet.

I have had great performace out of the Trulocks I bought for my 686 SP and I bought mine from MPC Sports.

Both are sponsors for SGW, so give them a call and they should be able to help you out.
http://www.mpcsports.com/

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info regarding the chokes. I'm going to take it out on sunday and try shooting some trap can't wait :).
I'm having some problems loading the second shell into the magazine, first one goes in no problem second one always require fidgeting. I have also noticed than the coating is starting to wear off on the bottom of receiver right where you insert shells into the magazine :( right on the edges.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Paulinski said:
I just checked the chokes and here is what I have

1) PB-M-SP
2) PB-IC-SP
3) PB-F-SP
4) PB-IM-SP

So I'm missing the SK choke. Is this the Skeet choke? Which choke should I use for trap shooting. OBX as soon as the kit arrives I'll let you know how I like it. I'm a little dissapointed that one of the chokes was missing what threw me off was that there were 4 places for chokes in the case.
Is there not one in the barrel. Mine have all (4 guns) came with one already in the barrel.
Here is what mine measure out at:
............................Measured / Factory
Skeet………Red……………0.735" .759"
Imp Cyl…..Yellow…….…0.724" .724"
Modified….Green…..……0.715" .716"
Imp Mod...Black………….0.705" .706"
Full…………White………….0.693" .694"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No there was no choke in the barrel. I got the game second hand and I'm guessing the previous owner misplaced the choke. I'm going to try and get ahold of him and see if he's got the 5th choke

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whatever you do, don't fire it without some kind of choke tube in the barrel :shock:

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
obx351 said:
The hardest thing for me to clean is the inside of the receiver, I just use brushes, my chamber brush w/ a cut piece of cloth and q-tips. Other then this cleaning and lubing were pretty straight forward.
After complete disassembly of the receiver, I use the spray crud cutter or a brake cleaner. It just melts the gunk out of all those crannies and crevices :wink:
Lube and re-assemble :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Good advice, I'll give it a try. Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Paulinski said:
He He Its an addiction for sure. After new years I'm going to purchase 391 Urika in Max 4 Camo. :)
Would you be lookin to adopt a middle aged kid??? :oops:

I'll bring my toys too :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts