Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had the pleasure of going with a few guys quail hunting last season. What a blast! My dad is more of a big game hunter so I never really experienced bird hunting growing up. I can remember the early mornings getting to the clearings waiting for the sun to rise so we could get hunting... ah those were the days.
I'm a little too noisey in the woods so I rarely saw shootable bucks. In my adulthood I have strayed from my roots and rarely went hunting :(

After being invited to go bird hunting I decided sure why not. Now this is my kind of hunting :mrgreen:! I went through about 50 shells in one morning and harvested one quail :lol:

Well, now I purchased my first shotgun, a Remington 807 Wingmaster 12ga did a bit of research on it and found it was manufactured in 72.

Its a great gun, I went through probably 50 guns and chose this one because it was so smooth operating. its in pretty good condition there is some bluing missing from the shell tube.

Thats the story, now the question.

I'd like to customize it some without going overboard... I like the look of a black synthetic stock, but after shooting someone elses it kicked like a mule :lol: so I think I will try to go another route.

I've seen some black/grey laminated stocks that look absolutely amazing, but I am having problems finding them in the right style for sale. I would like a conventional looking stock without the thumbhole, does anyone sell anything like that?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Jeffrey:

Welcome. :eek:

I think it would be easier to keep that splendid shotgun just as is. Check out the Remington M887, it's newest model, all black and synthetic. or perhaps a new 870 that will handle 3" shells, just in case you want that option for turkey or something similar.

Enjoy your hunting.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are there any newer recoil pads that I could swap onto it? the brown poo-poo pad has not faired too well, and the rubber is really hard and brittle.

edit: upon talking to S&K, Stocky's, and Boyds there seems to be no one manufacturing a traditional stock and forearm in a black/grey laminated wood :x
I guess I will keep it as it is until a later date.

what are people's opinions on the thumbhole stocks? this would be used on a shotgun used for home defense and upland bird hunting (no ducks/geese/turkey...)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
To me, thumbhole stocks are a bit of a novelty. They look good and probably feel good. If it were me, I'd get a thumbhole stock. They're beautiful.

Although, I would not want to alter the field gun much, because then it would not serve well in the field. It will still serve as a double duty blunderbuss, just being a field bun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Calisto said:
To me, thumbhole stocks are a bit of a novelty. They look good and probably feel good. If it were me, I'd get a thumbhole stock. They're beautiful.

Although, I would not want to alter the field gun much, because then it would not serve well in the field. It will still serve as a double duty blunderbuss, just being a field bun.
:lol: thanks for the advice. the more I think about it, the more i look, the more I want something really cool... the more that the reality hits that it is a beautiful functional gun already... if its not broke, don't fix it...

as much as i want the laminated stock, i think i should just try to invest in a better recoil pad and call it a day.

are there any better recoil pads than the poo-poo brown pads made in the 70's?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Good choice on the wingmaster. It may be the finest pump gun ever made.

One of the big advantages of having a wingmaster is that they have better furniture (stock and forend) factory installed. I'm not much of one for look for the sake of looks when it comes to guns, but the wingmaster is far prettier than the 870 express models.

If you're dead set on having a different stock and forend then I say go for it. As far as the thumhole thing, it is designed for either turkey or deer hunters to make aiming the gun easier. For wing shooting; which is what you will be doing while upland bird hunting, you really are "pointing" the gun at the target. The time taken to set up the shot is far less than the time taken to aim at either a deer or a turkey.

I also think that having to manuver your thumb into that little hole each time you wanted to fire at a bird would be a real inconvience and could end up being a real hinderance for upland bird hunting. If it was me, I'd skip the thumbhole altogether.

There are a bunch of aftermarket recoil pads on the market. There are both fixed ones that are set into stock of the gun and slip on covers. I have a slip on Limbsaver recoil pad that I use on an 870 supermag, a BPS 10g, and a .300 Win Mag. It's real handy for soaking up recoil, but it does increase to length of pull of the gun by quite a bit (close to 2 inches I'd say, I've never actually measured it.) This could be a problem if you're wearing a lot of bulky clothing during hunting season. It could make the gun "fit" much differently.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I haven't used the supercell, but it will probably work fine. Most of the aftermarket pads are good, Limsaver, Kick-eez, Pachmayr, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
greensock said:
I haven't used the supercell, but it will probably work fine. Most of the aftermarket pads are good, Limsaver, Kick-eez, Pachmayr, etc.
ok, thanks! I've read some reviews and it sounds like the supercell is a smoother finish on it and doesn't "stick" to your clothes when you bring it up to shoot. I'll give it a shot and see what happens, I can't imagine it being any harder than what I have now, :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
finally got some pictures for insurance purposes, thought I would show off the 870 a little.

is there anything I can do about this?

hard to tell from the vid, but its really a smooth operating 870 wingmaster.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
that is a nice gun I say just leave it . If you want some sort of tactical gun or synthetic whatever just wait a while and get like an 870 express. Just shoot the heck out of that gun.... That recoil pad looks fine for now. Just clean it up a little. That gun is perfect as is to get started. Trust me, just shoot the gun and develope your gun mount and your skills. Once you have a good gun mount you will know if you need a little more or less LOP. Then when you get a new pad you can have it fit for your LOP.

Check out orvis wingshooters guide. you can get it on amazon for like 8 bucks. Its all you need to get started quail hunting. It will cover all the basics. It took me from 25 percent success to 75 percent without firing 1 shot!

The other reason I say to wait is right now you have a very versatile do it all shotgun! After a few season of practice and handling more guns you will have more experience to decide what you would want for your ultimate gun(s).

I started with 12 ***** 870 I thought i would be shooting targets and ducks. Turned out I became addicted to rabbit and quail so that means my ideal gun is 20 ***** that is light weight and short. All that walking a 12 ***** gets very heavy at the end of the day. No need for all that firepower on Quail they are easy to kill.

Quail is generaly short and fast shots. So if you stick with quail hunting you will probably want a dedicated quail gun that will be lighter shorter fast pointing and an open choke. A 20 ***** wingmaster would be a great quail gun with 26" barrel and IC choke. However hold onto that 12 ***** its a fantastic all around gun to get started and is particularly good for ducks, pheasants, clays, coyote, and big game with slugs. Save your money till you have the experience to know what will work best for you. I can tell you right now a thumbhole stock for wingshooting isn't going to help you. IMHO walking with your finger in that stock kicking the brush for quail you may trip and break your thumb.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome to the obsession. Upland, Waterfowl and clays is where its at. Get your other friends and family involved. It seems the deer and turkey get all the attention and dollars at least in my state (Ohio). We need more bird hunters to ensure the survival of the habitats and great traditions.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
yep! best 10 bucks i ever spent. Now remember this is a good technique and works great for close range flushing birds like quail. this is mostly what you will be dealing with so its perfect. Its the only technique I use for rabbit and quail.

To be honest I haven't mastered any other methods yet but I will eventualy.Later on there are lots of other techniques to master for every situation like a 50 yard shot at a crossing duck for example might be better to use sustained lead or swing through. This will be more books and a lifetime of learning and or lessons.

But honestly I can say I was hitting 25 percent of clays and live animals before i read orvis handbook. Read the book practiced the techniques in my room a little bit(gun unloaded of course) and presto I started hitting 75% on my next time out! Some folks here at shotgun world told me to get it of course!

good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stockranger said:
yep! best 10 bucks i ever spent. Now remember this is a good technique and works great for close range flushing birds like quail. this is mostly what you will be dealing with so its perfect. Its the only technique I use for rabbit and quail.

To be honest I haven't mastered any other methods yet but I will eventualy.Later on there are lots of other techniques to master for every situation like a 50 yard shot at a crossing duck for example might be better to use sustained lead or swing through. This will be more books and a lifetime of learning and or lessons.

But honestly I can say I was hitting 25 percent of clays and live animals before i read orvis handbook. Read the book practiced the techniques in my room a little bit(gun unloaded of course) and presto I started hitting 75% on my next time out! Some folks here at shotgun world told me to get it of course!

good luck!
shipped :D

I actually do pretty good with the clays when we are just messing around using the hand thrower (at least 75%) but the quail were another story, lol. I think it was partially because i was so excited/nervous and I was too cautious about where everyone esle was that i didnt take 50% of the shots I should have taken

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I read the Orvis wing shooting handbook, good read. parts of it were more helpful than others but I see a few things that i will try changing next time I go out.

1. my stance, i prefered to stand with my feet pointing perpendicular to the target rather than towards.
2. dominate eye, I thought my dominate eye was my left (right handed) so i closed my left eye every time, my dominate eye acutally is my right. i'll have to try keeping it open next time :D
3. aiming vs pointing, i aim instead of pointing, i'll be trying to point vs aim next time

thanks for the advice, after trying some more clays i'll be re-reading it trying to gleen some more out of it.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
The wear on your mag. tube is absolutely normal. I strongly recommend a Limbsaver recoil pad. I use one and would not part with it for anything. It took my Stoeger 2000 from a punishing kicker to a soft shooting gun. They are that good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks!

I ended up buying a limbsaver recoil pad, but once I put it on it's not flush all the way around... I left it on because like you said the kick is dramatically reduced but its about 1/8th of an inch too tall on the top of the stock :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts