Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very fine condition , not modified 12 gauge Westernfield/Browning patent marked shot gun is available for $150. I think this gun is a Stevens 520 BUT the top of reciever is not completely square but has a ridge across it ; different than a square back. I am interested in this rare Browning 1902 patent with the locking lug thru top of reciever and bump forward to release pump action . Since Stevens produced this gun in WW1&WW2 as a military arm I presume they were good? Is this ridge on any Stevens recievers? Does anybody know if these guns are good?

·
Premium Member
19,741 Posts
In my mini-arsenal, I've got a couple of these guns. They were sold under several names including J.C. Higgins and Wards Westernfield in addition to the military guns that you mention. As for the quality of these guns, I'd rate them about on a par with current Mossbergs. Quality wise, they're OK, nothing special, but they will get the job done.

I'm not going by Blue Book or anything like that, but for $150 the gun would have to be in real cherry condition to attract my attention.

I don't know what you are referring to by a ridge "across" the receiver. Both of mine have a ridge running from front to rear on top of the receiver, and the bolt locks into the top of the receiver. And, as you said, you have to give the forend a little push forward before you start back with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, just not quite a sqaue back as 520s I've seen. I agree with your opinion I bought another Rem Mod 31 for $225. :D

G

·
I have one, 12 Gauge Full Choke. I did some research several years ago and found out that it was made in the 1920's. It was a Browning patent manufatured by Stevens Arms Co. for Wards (Western Field).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts