Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 550 which is basically a Mossberg 500 made for Montgomery Wards. Thinking about making this a youth gun for son but need a shorter barrel that could shoot steel. From what i understand, the newer mossberg barrels are compatible with this gun. The current barrel doesn't have the vent rib. Would this create issues? How much are the replacement barrels?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I don't know about the compatability of the barrels, but you can find barrels on Gunbroker. 500 barrels are usually common and not overly expensive if those will indeed fit. Sometimes it is cheaper to just buy another gun that is already set up the way you want it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the new Mossberg and Rem 20 g youth models and they were close to $300. I have the Western Field that gets no love thanks to my Browning Gold and thought i could convert it to a nice youth waterfowl gun for cheap. I'll check GB. Hadn't thought of that.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Yes, I think you can get barrels on the cheap if you look for them. I bought a cut-down 18.25" barrel for my Mossberg 500A for $15 once. It was clear it was from an older gun but fit reasonably well (not as smooth closing the slide as with the orig barrel).

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Got any buddies that own a Mossberg in the same gauge? Ask if ya'll can switch off barrels to check for fitment.
Where are you located? I've got both a 20 and 12. If you're anywhere near me I'll let ya try one of mine.

HWD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.