Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not been able to attend a large trap meet before. What are the most commonly seen models and barrel lengths? I'm just wondering what patterns (no pun intended) tend to be at the larger matches.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Generally 32” and 34” inch unsingle barrels for singles and handicap or high rib double barrels of 32”. Some top single barrels still show up. Trap guns are generally designed to shoot a higher POI with higher ribs and combs being designed to give shooters upright posture. You will see many of the guns have release triggers especially with older shooters.

As far as brands go, any company building these types of shotguns sees representation at even local levels. Some people that travel to shoot have seen localized brand favorites. For example, here in my home state of PA you will find many people shooting Kreighoff, Ljutic, or Silver Seitz shotguns. I’ve heard that on the West coast that Perazzi has a larger following, though I am not sure if that is true.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
perazzi's are popular out here.
you'd be surprised how many 'too poor to buy diesel' farmers have 20-K shotguns, and 70-K pickup trucks.[that run on diesel]
Brownings are probably 2-3 deep on every squad, and kreighoffs are still popular [not as much as they used to be]
probably see as many tri-stars as i do Guerinni's.
i only know one guy with a kohlar, he also has a Zoli, and about a half dozen other high dollar guns that i know of.

the rest of us shoot 870's, 120's, 3200's, and old SKB's.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Lots of Brownings in this area.
BT-99's are popular anywhere trap is shot.
Beretta's were popular in the San Diego area when I lived there.
Can't say I've seen a ot of Kolars in person, but I'd sure love to have one myself.

Barrel lengths can vary, usually depending on gun type.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. It's interesting to hear about the regional patterns of certain brands. I'm guessing that's somewhat due to the strong influence of a shop, dealer, pro shooter or something along those lines.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Just in my squad of shooters that travel together. 4 of 5 of us shoot Krieghoff K-80's the other a high grade CGun. At major events you see many guns valued over $10K, very few under $5K, most are Bguns with about equal Browning to Baretta. Traveling in the northern states you will see a lot of Kolar, especially WI and MN. Always a few Alfies and Ljutics and Seitz dedicated users. Pguns used to be the most popular high grade, but not certain that is true anymore.

Maltz

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Maltz for your reply. I was hoping you would answer as I know you travel and compete a lot. Would you say that most people at the larger matches also have a backup gun and is that the same gun usually? That probably depends on how reliable their main gun has been for them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would say agree that Krieghoff and Seitz are the most popular high end guns in PA, but I’d bet there are more Brownings on the line at the PA state shoot than any other brand. Perazzi did use to be really popular here 15-20 years ago, but now not nearly as much. In OH I’d say it’s about the same but Perazzi is still seen more there, not sure why we don’t see as many P-guns here.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I would say most dedicated trap shooters do have back-up guns. I travel with 2 K-80 combos, one set up for singles and one set up for doubles, but both back the other up. Have another older K-80 (original live bird gun) at home set up for skeet/sporting/Dove hunting. Guns have matching double release triggers installed. All barrels and stocks interchange with all receivers.

Although, one of my regular squad members does not travel with a back-up. Why I do not know.

Maltz

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I would say most dedicated trap shooters do have back-up guns. I travel with 2 K-80 combos, one set up for singles and one set up for doubles, but both back the other up. Have another older K-80 (original live bird gun) at home set up for skeet/sporting/Dove hunting. Guns have matching double release triggers installed. All barrels and stocks interchange with all receivers.
It's always interesting to learn the minutiae in another shooter's life.
Thanks, man.

·
Registered
440 Posts
See lots of BT-99's locally here in Northern Nevada. Lots of other different guns as well.
I'm the only one at my club shooting a 34" Beretta Mark II in singles and handicap. They stopped importing them in the mid 1970's. Mine still shoots and locks up great for one that age.
I shoot a 32" Beretta 694 in doubles and Sporting Clays, sometimes in singles/handicap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts